Some applications taking 20+ seconds to load on Mint 20.3 *solved*

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
another person
Level 1
Level 1

Some applications taking 20+ seconds to load on Mint 20.3 *solved*

Post by another person »

Hi, I just reinstalled Linux Mint the newest Cinnamon on my machine, Mint 20.3, everything is working smooth and just beat a game on the Dolphin emulator with minimal lag at 60 fps.
I have one concern, its that certain apps will take up to 20 or 30 seconds to load after clicking on them. What perplexes me is other apps will load immediately, so for example I click on VLC it takes forever to load, I click on another media player it loads up in 1 second this never happened before. The Gimp loads up right away and that's a huge heavy app!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Some applications taking 20+ seconds to load on Mint 20.3

Post by spamegg »

Those are Qt apps (Gimp is GTK), a few others reported the same problem as you. Someone said they uninstalled "Qt5 Settings" and the problem went away, although you should proceed at your own risk! I believe it's the package called qt5ct "Qt5 Configuration Tool".
happnatious1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by happnatious1 »

I get a similar problem once in a while after an update and for me it seems to be the file manager Nemo. Nemo takes so long to launch that I think something has crashed. Any program that uses it in the background will exhibit this behavior. I usually notice it when trying to add an attachment to an email in Thunderbird.
A full Linux mint reboot always fixes it.
another person
Level 1
Level 1

Post by another person »

spamegg wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:39 am Those are Qt apps (Gimp is GTK), a few others reported the same problem as you. Someone said they uninstalled "Qt5 Settings" and the problem went away, although you should proceed at your own risk! I believe it's the package called qt5ct "Qt5 Configuration Tool".
If I just reinstall it will that mess things up?
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Don't know! Why don't you start those applications from the Terminal and show us the error messages they give? We might understand why they take so long to start.
mexjim99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mexjim99 »

This appears to be the same issue I've experienced.

I clean installed mint 20.3 cinnamon. I've noticed this delay using keepassxc, ktorrent, barrier, protonvpn.

I used synaptic to remove qt5ct and startups went back to opening as soon as they're started. I re-installed qt5ct and the delay problem was back. Removing qt5ct again resulted in normal operation. The qt thing is new to me. I had no idea there was such a thing let alone what its purpose might be. So far I haven't noticed any other problems with qt5ct removed.

Additional info...
When I started keepassxc from terminal and qt5ct installed here's the result.

....:~$ keepassxc
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no
QObject::startTimer: Timers cannot have negative intervals

One other item I've noticed, and it may or may not be related, is the text size in the screensaver doesn't work. The text stays the same size regardless of how I set the size in the setup.
another person
Level 1
Level 1

Post by another person »

spamegg wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:58 pm Don't know! Why don't you start those applications from the Terminal and show us the error messages they give? We might understand why they take so long to start.
Yep it seems to be qt5ct plugin when I run in terminal.
another person
Level 1
Level 1

Post by another person »

mexjim99 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:00 pm This appears to be the same issue I've experienced.

I clean installed mint 20.3 cinnamon. I've noticed this delay using keepassxc, ktorrent, barrier, protonvpn.

I used synaptic to remove qt5ct and startups went back to opening as soon as they're started. I re-installed qt5ct and the delay problem was back. Removing qt5ct again resulted in normal operation. The qt thing is new to me. I had no idea there was such a thing let alone what its purpose might be. So far I haven't noticed any other problems with qt5ct removed.

Additional info...
When I started keepassxc from terminal and qt5ct installed here's the result.

....:~$ keepassxc
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no
QObject::startTimer: Timers cannot have negative intervals

One other item I've noticed, and it may or may not be related, is the text size in the screensaver doesn't work. The text stays the same size regardless of how I set the size in the setup.
That seems to have fixed it, thanks. Now things are running quick. I wonder if its related to the latest Mint Cinnamon version?
louyo2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by louyo2 »

Thanks mexjim99, worked a treat.

Lou
Pooters
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pooters »

Thanks to all :)
It was taking 20+ seconds for KPatience to load on Mint XFCE.
Took out QT thingy and now all is well.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Some applications taking 20+ seconds to load on Mint 20.3 *solved*

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I have had good results removing qt5ct and load times for some programs (ie Keepassxc) but other programs for example grsync take quite awhile to load still. If memory serves this was not the case with mint 20.2 but now with 20.3 is apparent. Is it necessary to remove other qt5 plugins? What is qt used for?
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I too want to know what qt is used for. I am running LM 19.3 and opening of PDF files was taking more than 5 seconds. Now after removing qt5ct my PDF files open almost immediately.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

This thread helped me sort it out viewtopic.php?t=340731
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2

Return to “Software & Applications”