help with Wine install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mamba76
Level 1
Level 1

help with Wine install

Post by mamba76 »

How do I properly set up Wine so that I have 2 distinct folders - wine32 & wine64 ?
When I run a certain win32 application it default installs to "/home/me/.wine/drive-c/Program Files (x86)".
How can I ensure when I run a 32 bit installer that Wine will associate with it the relevant 32 bit dependencies ?
I would greatly appreciate step by step copy/paste commands but also a brief comment / explanation of the purpose, also
I think its best to do a clean install of wine 7 so how do I completely remove it? (

Code: Select all

sudo find / -iname *wine* rm -r
) ? (as nothing else named wine)
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
freshminted
Level 4
Level 4

Re: help with Wine install

Post by freshminted »

Lots of good information here https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/co ... t_install/

I have both original .wine and wine32 folders on my system but I have to look up the instructions about how to install 32 bit apps every time I need to. It's usually

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/$USER/.wine32 wine your-program
in the terminal.

Incidentally, installing wine 7 over wine 6 the other day required a restart after installation to get everything working again. No 64 bit wine programs worked until I did this, although the 32 bit ones did. Also had to re-download mono (which was automatically requested). No problems after that.
Complete World Domination within five years.
mamba76
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mamba76 »

same here. was going to search for Mint dist version of .Net but accepted the download option. I got it down to one error (unimplemented function of mvcsm90.dll) before trying similar code you quoted then somehow ended up with about 5 other errors. Iv typed so much junk into wine it needs a re install now so starting to lose interest but will try again tomorrow. Cheers

ps trying to get an adobe air plugin for a usb device to work, that was designed for windows.
freshminted
Level 4
Level 4

Post by freshminted »

Good Luck getting a hardware device with windows drivers to work in wine.
Complete World Domination within five years.
mamba76
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mamba76 »

Took a while to realise but its not a Windows driver its just a bog standard HID device.

Return to “Software & Applications”