Panel Icon for Files in LM20.3 is atrocious

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Panel Icon for Files in LM20.3 is atrocious

Post by AZgl1800 »

How can I get that Icon replaced with the Normal NEMO green one?

The depicted looks like a document scanner.

Panel Icons.png
Panel Icons.png (10.2 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Panel Icon for Files in LM20.3 is atrocious

Post by absque fenestris »

Start with a right click on the Start Menu and select "Configure..." in the configuration window then select "Menu" and there go to the menu editor.
On my screenshot Nemo is already a commentless Nemo again: In the properties window click as usual on the icon and navigate to one that you like better (folder icons you can find under Places...)

For me, "Nemo" is actually still "Nautilus", but I'm also at least GNOME 2 damaged... :mrgreen:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

absque fenestris wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:03 am Start with a right click on the Start Menu and select "Configure..." in the configuration window then select "Menu" and there go to the menu editor.
On my screenshot Nemo is already a commentless Nemo again: In the properties window click as usual on the icon and navigate to one that you like better (folder icons you can find under Places...)

For me, "Nemo" is actually still "Nautilus", but I'm also at least GNOME 2 damaged... :mrgreen:
I should have remembered that, but I am Memory Challenged :|
That did change the look of the Home Icon on the Desktop, but it did not change the Panel Icon when NEMO is opened

NEMO panel Icon.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

A short logout / login perhaps?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

absque fenestris wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:37 am A short logout / login perhaps?
Thought about that, so did a Control-Alt-Backspace and it locked up solid as granite.

had to use BIOS shutdown :oops:

Rebooted and it was all fouled up, locked up again, screen went black.

Powered off, rebooted, and went straight to Timeshift and backed up to 8pm yesterday, all is well again, but lost a few items that I had added.... but, I have notes on what those are.

So, the Panel Icon showing that NEMO is open still looks daffy to me....

So, I am left with the Desktop's NEMO Icon looks just fine, but the Panel's icon still looks daffy.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

You can also right-click directly into the icon in the panel and then select "Edit" - so you can select different icons in the panel than in the menu.

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

absque fenestris wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:05 am You can also right-click directly into the icon in the panel and then select "Edit" - so you can select different icons in the panel than in the menu.

Hmmmm,

your EDIT menu and mine are different

Edit Panel Icon2.png
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Just as a reassurance that we're talking about the same desktop version: well, I'm in Mint 20.3 Cinnamon right now.

... ... ... but I use the panel in "Classic" mode, not with this newfangled window & icon management thing
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

absque fenestris wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:23 am Just as a reassurance that we're talking about the same desktop version: well, I'm in Mint 20.3 Cinnamon right now.

... ... ... but I use the panel in "Classic" mode, not with this newfangled window & icon management thing
yes,
LM20.3 Cinnamon using Legacy Theme and I also chose Classic Mode (Traditional), can't get my mind around that newfangled mess that is the Default.

Traditional.png
Traditional.png (18.21 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Hi AZgl1800

has something new emerged in the appearance of Nemo in the meantime?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

absque fenestris wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:26 pm Hi AZgl1800

has something new emerged in the appearance of Nemo in the meantime?
for me, the appearance is all washed out, for all of the system utilities, just White on White with a few pale dark lines, hard for old codgers to deal with, I need the different areas shaded

NEMO appearance.png
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

I am currently experimenting - not that I didn't like the (partly modified by me) Mint-X-Dark icons anymore, but stimulated by a question here in the forums, I once installed the IOTA-Dark-Icons. Looks quite exciting...

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:01 am LM20.3 Cinnamon using Legacy Theme and I also chose Classic Mode (Traditional), can't get my mind around that newfangled mess that is the Default.
Your screenshot above shows the context menu for the grouped window list so are you sure you switched to traditional? But it does look like something is very messed up with your icon themes.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

smurphos wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:05 am
AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:01 am LM20.3 Cinnamon using Legacy Theme and I also chose Classic Mode (Traditional), can't get my mind around that newfangled mess that is the Default.
Your screenshot above shows the context menu for the grouped window list so are you sure you switched to traditional? But it does look like something is very messed up with your icon themes.
I initially checked Traditional and started out with that.
Just rechecked and it is back to modern again, and can validate that because hoverung over the panel Icons will show 2 or 3 instances of Terminal which is not uncommon for me..... guess I will leave that alone as I have modified the panel so much now, lot of time invested in getting it to look/behave like I want.

I keep Wavemon running nearly all the time, because that helps tremendously with checking to see which WiFi signal the laptop is using... this is important because the Smartphone needs to be on the same WiFi channel or the Photo Transfer app won't work.

For Android there is an app called "Sweech" which allows a PC to directly log into a Smartphone and select files to download to the PC. Very nice to have feature. You can view photos or videos direct from the phone, or download to the PC.

But utilities look awful still. Except for the Title bar at the top which I made darker, the rest of the panels are just flat flat flat.... hard for me to navigate through some menus.

I would like to be able to cause the Icons to be highlighted in a light yellow in XED for instance and other utilities. Is that possible? Some utilities that popup do not honor the System settings and pop up in fonts so Tiny, that I have to use a Magnifying glass to read them. Very frustrating.

TED Command Line.png

Return to “Software & Applications”