[Solved] Installing like we do in Windows. Will it be updated automatically?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abhinav862
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Installing like we do in Windows. Will it be updated automatically?

Post by abhinav862 »

Can I just download .deb file from official website & double-click it to install (just like we do on Windows)? Will it be updated automatically then onwards regularly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installing like we do in Windows. Will it be updated automatically?

Post by JerryF »

Yes. the GDebi Package Installer will pop up to install the program.

That depends on the program. Most deb files will create a PPA or Additional Repository in your Software Sources so that the program will show up in Update Manager to be updated.
abhinav862
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abhinav862 »

I want to install official Visual Studio Code instead of Flatpak one. Though I am wondering how will I update official Visual Studio Code if I would download .deb file and install it by double-clicking!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Yes, double-click on the deb file and following the Package Installer's prompt. Then check your Software Sources (found in your main menu) to see if there's an entry (or entries) in the section PPA or Additional Repository.
abhinav862
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abhinav862 »

Please elaborate after package installation by double-clicking. What is PPA and how to set automatic updates?
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

abhinav862 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:23 am Please elaborate after package installation by double-clicking. What is PPA and how to set automatic updates?
Double-click on the .deb file, click "Install", enter password, wait for it to finish, until it says "same version already installed".

Then as Jerry suggested, go to Menu/Software Sources. Enter password, then go to "Additional repositories":
sources.png
If you see an entry for the package that you just installed, then it will get updates automatically. If not, then it won't.
As you see I have an entry for VS Code there (don't mind the fact that the box is unchecked, I did that myself). This entry was added by the .deb file for VS Code.
abhinav862
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abhinav862 »

Why is it saying "same version already installed"? :shock:
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

Exactly what it means. That the current version you are trying to install is already installed.
abhinav862
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abhinav862 »

Then why to install i.e., double-click the .deb file in the first place?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

abhinav862 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:20 am Then why to install i.e., double-click the .deb file in the first place?
"Same version installed" only shows after you've installed the program. I know, it's not very intuitive.

From AskUbuntu:
Personal Package Archives (PPAs) are software repositories designed for Ubuntu users and are easier to install than other third-party repositories. PPAs are often used to distribute pre-release software so that it can be tested.
abhinav862
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abhinav862 »

Thank you so much! Linux Mint has a great community. I am thinking to use Linux Mint on a separate laptop maybe along with other OSes on other laptop my whole life! As it is community-driven unlike Ubuntu. :)

I am reading an ebook "Linux Mint The Beginner's Guide" by Jonathan Moeller. After which I'll learn from linuxjourney.com and "The Linux Command Line" book by Shotts. Then, I will learn CentOS using a virtual machine. Then, I'll focus on learning Operating System subject better during which I'll read also a book "Understanding Linux Kernel" by Bovet & Cesati. I'll also read "The Design of the Unix operating system" by Bach. Then, "Linux Programming" by Matthew Stones
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

abhinav862 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:18 pm Thank you so much! Linux Mint has a great community. I am thinking to use Linux Mint on a separate laptop maybe along with other OSes on other laptop my whole life! As it is community-driven unlike Ubuntu. :)
That was one of the important reasons I stayed with Mint. I signed up for other forums for a couple of other Linux distributions and some were just ok, and some were awful. They were so unwelcoming to newbies.

Return to “Software & Applications”