Disable autocopy marked text on xfce 20

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nemesis
Level 1
Level 1

Disable autocopy marked text on xfce 20

Post by Nemesis »

WHO? :evil: thought it would be good to enable "copy marked text with a click" on Linux mint 20 xfce

Do they know how irritating it is to try to past a text on another marked text (to replace it) and the stupid system copies the stupid marked text before you can paste your own?

HOW do I turn of something stupid as :evil: :evil: idea?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nemesis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Disable autocopy marked text on xfce 20

Post by Nemesis »

No One?
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

You waited approx 35mins for a reply to your question. Do not be impatient give others who may know how to solve your problem a chance to come online, it may take a few days.
Patience is a virtue.
Nemesis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nemesis »

kato181 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:13 am You waited approx 35mins [cut]
Patience is a virtue.
You mean 1475 minutes... and now I've waited approximately 24480 (17 days), and still no one appears to know, yet it's a VERY annoying.
I would say almost "remove mint and change system" situation, because i do copy a lot a of text and replaces other text with that text, but because it's copying the marking, it removes the text I had in the clipboard, and should have pasted over the now marked text, it becomes an endless loop
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Nemesis wrote: ... and still no one appears to know ...
I still don't know, because I can't replicate this behavior, unless I'm totally misunderstanding the issue.

20.3 Xfce, tested this with Xed. I highlighted the text that I wanted to copy, right-clicked to select Copy, and it goes to the clipboard. Then I highlighted the text that I wanted to replace, right-clicked on it to select Paste, and it replaced the highlighted text with the contents of the clipboard.
Nemesis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nemesis »

JoeFootball wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:17 pm [ highlighted the text that I wanted to copy, right-clicked to select Copy, and it goes to the clipboard. Then I highlighted the text that I wanted to replace, right-clicked on it to select Paste, and it replaced the highlighted text with the contents of the clipboard.
Strange, because as soon as I select any text anywhere, it's automatically copied into the clipboard.
I never had this issue on cinnamon.
I visited the irc chat, and one dude there said that it always had been so..
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Nemesis wrote: I visited the irc chat, and one dude there said that it always had been so..
Speaking for myself, I've use Xfce for years, and on more than just LM, and I don't recall ever encountering this. And I'm not aware of any setting to invoke this either, though I admit to never looking for such a feature.

For me, highlighted text doesn't go to the clipboard unless I send it there via Copy/Cut from a menu, or Ctrl+C/X.

Are you using any sort of clipboard manager or similar?

If you were to boot to a live session of LM Xfce, does the same thing happen there?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Nemesis wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:29 am WHO? :evil: thought it would be good to enable "copy marked text with a click" on Linux mint 20 xfce
Do they know how irritating it is to try to past a text on another marked text (to replace it) and the stupid system copies the stupid marked text before you can paste your own?
Are you using an xterm or a derivative of xterm?
HOW do I turn of something stupid as :evil: :evil: idea?
Use a "normal" terminal; xterm (and etc) is (are) just weird and primitive.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Nemesis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nemesis »

Flemur wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:49 am Are you using an xterm or a derivative of xterm?
Am I using what?
Nemesis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nemesis »

JoeFootball wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:46 am
Are you using any sort of clipboard manager or similar?
No, not that I'm aware of..
JoeFootball wrote: If you were to boot to a live session of LM Xfce, does the same thing happen there?
Boot live? what do you mean?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Nemesis wrote: Boot live? what do you mean?
I mean booting up a session of Linux Mint that's running off a USB/DVD independent of the current deployment on your hard drive. e.g., how you may have installed LM 20 Xfce.
Nemesis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nemesis »

JoeFootball wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:42 pm running off a USB/DVD
ahhh.. yeah, tested that, and there it's not copying by it self..
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Nemesis wrote: ahhh.. yeah, tested that, and there it's not copying by it self..
Which gives evidence that whoever was on IRC telling you that it's always been that way for Xfce may have been mistaken. Admittedly, this doesn't provide a solution to your current deployment, but at least you know it's likely not Xfce overall.

Was this a fresh install of LM 20? Or did you upgrade direct from 19.3?
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

The xfce4-clipman can change the manner in which this pasting behaviour works, so have a look at https://docs.xfce.org/panel-plugins/clipman/start and check if that is installed and enabled/running.

You can change its behaviour by right clicking on the panel icon.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Which applications are you seeing this behaviour in and how are you pasting?

Bear in mind that Linux running X11 has independent copy/paste systems - e.g.
X11s Primary Selection (selections goes to that copy buffer, middle mouse click pastes from that buffer.
Regular Clipboard (Ctrl-C , Ctrl-V (with Shift in terminals) & menu copy & paste etc)

Some applications (e.g. XFCE terninal, and as mentioned Clipman in XFCE have an option to sync the two buffers) - but they are off by default.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Nemesis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nemesis »

smurphos wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:04 am Bear in mind that Linux running X11 has independent copy/paste systems.
X11, isn't that handling remote desktop? (I'm usually on via realvnc)
smurphos wrote: Some applications (e.g. XFCE terninal, and as mentioned Clipman in XFCE have an option to sync the two buffers) - but they are off by default.
I've heard of Clipman, but I didn't have it installed, and I can't find it in software..
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

X11, X server, sometimes also referred to as X.org (after the organisation that maintains it) is the display server used in Mint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Software & Applications”