Thunderbird/Firefox problem (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Thunderbird/Firefox problem (SOLVED)

Post by Prsman »

I upgraded to Mint 20.3 Cinnamon from 19.3 Cinnamon by doing a clean install. I am re-using my .Thunderbird profile from 19.3. I installed firejail, version
firejail_0.9.66rc1_1and64.deb. Problem is when I click on a link in an email I get a message:

Code: Select all

Your firefox profile cannot be loaded.  It may be missing or inaccesible. 
From the /etc/firejail/thundebird.profile:

Code: Select all

# These lines are needed to allow Firefox to load your profile when clicking a link in an email
noblacklist ${HOME}/.mozilla
whitelist ${HOME}/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini
read-only ${HOME}/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini

noblacklist ${HOME}/.cache/thunderbird
noblacklist ${HOME}/.gnupg
# noblacklist ${HOME}/.icedove
noblacklist ${HOME}/.thunderbird

include disable-passwdmgr.inc
include disable-xdg.inc
In /var/cache/apt/archives is the file firejail-profiles_0.9.62-3ubuntu0.1_all.deb. Is it a mismatch in firejail profiles causing this? Or something else? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Thunderbird/Firefox problem

Post by Termy »

Generally, I don't think it's a good idea to click links in an E-Mail. I copy where the link goes, then paste and browse in Firefox, if I'm sure the address is legitimate. You can see the target of a link in the bottom-left of Thunderbird, when you hover over the link. You can copy the target of a link with Copy Link Location in Thunderbird.

IIRC, Thunderbird blocks scripts and what-have-you, but still, at the very least, that's a way you can browse to those places until it's fixed. :roll:

BTW, check the permissions and ownership of your profile, so that they're accessible.

Oh, and any time I get that error, it's usually because I'm using an older version of Firefox than that in which my profile was last used. Since you upgraded the entire OS, I'll assume that's not the issue here, but just in-case, ... are you using the same or newer version as the profile's wanting?
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Prsman »

Thanks for the reply. I read this page: https://github.com/netblue30/firejail/issues/3982 I created a thunderbird.local file in /.config/firejail. Now when I click on a link in an email, the link loads in firefox. But firefox must be open to do that. I'm close. How do I get firefox to open and display the link?
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Prsman wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:25 pm How do I get firefox to open and display the link?
You should be able to run firefox URL as I successfully did just now, to open Firefox and browse to URL. Perhaps you can incorporate that into what you're doing?
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Software & Applications”