Timeshift Setup

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Timeshift Setup

Post by borgward »

I am setting up Timeshift on my daily driver:
Type rsync
Location sdb1 - a 32 GB USB stick
Daily Keep 3
Users /home/me Exclude All Files (Default)
/root Exclude All Files (Default)

This is the right way to go?
Wondering what the other options, Include Only Hidden Files, Include All Files are for?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Timeshift Setup

Post by Pjotr »

borgward wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:37 pm I am setting up Timeshift on my daily driver:
Type rsync
Daily Keep 3

This is my recommendation:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID7
(item 7)

TL;DNR: your intended snapshot frequency is far too high. Totally unnecessary. The recommended frequency when you run the wizard, is plain crazy for the average user.

I make one snapshot manually, so not automated, about twice a year. Which is more than enough to restore a working system, if needed. When I restore an ancient snapshot, updating it afterwards is a matter of minutes.
borgward wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:37 pm Wondering what the other options, Include Only Hidden Files, Include All Files are for?
Hidden files in /home are user settings. Sometimes including them in a snapshot makes sense. The other files are your documents and such. You definitely do NOT want those included in a snapshot.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:45 pm
borgward wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:37 pm I am setting up Timeshift on my daily driver:
Type rsync
Daily Keep 3

This is my recommendation:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID7
(item 7)

TL;DNR: your intended snapshot frequency is far too high. Totally unnecessary. The recommended frequency when you run the wizard, is plain crazy for the average user.

I make one snapshot manually, so not automated, about twice a year. Which is more than enough to restore a working system, if needed. When I restore an ancient snapshot, updating it afterwards is a matter of minutes.
borgward wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:37 pm Wondering what the other options, Include Only Hidden Files, Include All Files are for?
Hidden files in /home are user settings. Sometimes including them in a snapshot makes sense. The other files are your documents and such. You definitely do NOT want those included in a snapshot.
I partially disagree. Keep in mind not all people have the same needs or the same level of experience you do so the frequency of snapshots and the number retained can vary from person to person. I agree that daily is a bit much but, depending on the user, weekly may not be unreasonable and every six months would be nowhere nearly enough. If one has enough room on their drive, retaining 8-12 snapshots wouldn't be unreasonable. Updating system and program updates and, possibly, system settings after restoring a six month old snapshot could be a nightmare for some people.

Generally speaking, the less experience a person has with Mint or the more they tinker with it, the more often they may want to take snapshots and the more they may wish to retain. The amount of available disk space also has to be taken into account when determining how many snapshots to retain. Another factor to consider when determining frequency of snapshots and how many to retain is whether hidden files are included in the snapshots.

I also prefer manual snapshots; there is a lower chance of problems that could crop up during an automatic snapshot. I also make a snapshot before adding or removing programs, kernel or other potentially problematic updates, or before making any changes to my settings (I include them in my snapshots). I also manually and selectively cull snapshots, keeping them down to between 6 and 12, depending on why the snapshots has been made.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Less is ok. Twice a year would not work for me.

My machine required a non standard graphics driver, Nvidia :shock: , and a non default kernel to run the driver. I run a manual Timeshift after a kernel update or a video driver update to avoid a repeat of the messy install. I end up with a manual Timeshift backup about once every two weeks.

I am also manually running timeshift snapshots today between each step of clearing out old software just in case I break something. This is a once every few months spring clean.

My other machines, desktops with default kernels, have a Timeshift backup whenever I feel like it as they have a spare SSD dedicated to the snapshots. A snapshot is almost instant.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

borgward wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:37 pm This is the right way to go?
There is no single right or wrong way to go. We each have different backup requirements and hence need different solutions. You should assess how often your system settings change, (meaning how often you change or update the software,) how easy it is to reverse those software changes, how secure and reliable you want the location of the snapshots to be, how easy you find Mint re-installation as an alternative to restoring a snapshot.
Cliff Coggin
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:12 amassess how often your system settings change, (meaning how often you change or update the software,)
I do not change settings or add or remove software on this machine frequently once I have it configured to my liking. This laptop has been running Mint since Mint 13. I do run all updates with Update Manager as they appear. I do keep kernels reduced to about 4 on a semi-monthly basis.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

borgward wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:30 am
cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:12 amassess how often your system settings change, (meaning how often you change or update the software,)
I do not change settings or add or remove software on this machine frequently once I have it configured to my liking. This laptop has been running Mint since Mint 13. I do run all updates with Update Manager as they appear. I do keep kernels reduced to about 4 on a semi-monthly basis.
In that case I suggest saving several daily snapshots until the computer is set up to your liking. Later you can then reduce them to one or two plus a weekly and even maybe a monthly depending on the amount of storage space you have available.

Remember that scheduled snapshots will automatically delete the oldest when a new one is added; whereas manual snapshots will remain and may accumulate to the point of stopping the computer from working.
Cliff Coggin
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

I now have Timeshift set up for the first time:

Type Rsync

Loction sdc1 ext4 30GB 9 GB Free

Schedule Weekly Keep 2

Users me /home/me Exclude All Files
root /root Exclude All Files

Does 9 GB free seem like a lot for 1 snapshot?

The stick was sdb1. I removed the stick after the snapshot was taken to avoid damage while the laptop was in transit. The USB stick was reinserted after I got back and came up as sdc1. There were no other USB devices plugged in.

Does the USB stick need to be always plugged in?

What happens if it is not when a snapshot is scheduled?
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

20 GB for the first snapshot is common. The next snapshots would add 0.2 ~ 2 GB when it is to Ext4 as it can use links to avoid duplication.

Auto snapshots make sense for my desktop where there is a built in disk for Timeshift. For plug in USB storage, switch of scheduled snapshots and just run a manual snapshot once per week after plugging in the USB stick.

If Timeshift looks for sdb etc, you can run into trouble when the address changes. My Timeshift looks for a UUID which is unique to the USB stick and does not change unless you reformat the stick.

If your USB stick started as sdb then became sdc, it sounds like you unplugged the USB stick without using eject. You did not reboot. The OS thinks sdb is still in use and allocated sdc.

Return to “Software & Applications”