(Solved)What is a 'snapshot device" ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

(Solved)What is a 'snapshot device" ?

Post by Alvin »

In trying to use timeshift, I come to the notice to select snapshot device. I can find no explanation for what is a snapshot device. I guess it is a storage device, such as a memory stick. If so, what must its capacity be? Can it be 2.0? Is this information contained somewhere, and I did not notice it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: What is a 'snapshot device" ?

Post by JerryF »

Alvin wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:18 pm In trying to use timeshift, I come to the notice to select snapshot device. I can find no explanation for what is a snapshot device. I guess it is a storage device, such as a memory stick. If so, what must its capacity be? Can it be 2.0? Is this information contained somewhere, and I did not notice it?
"Device" is a poor term that Timeshift uses. It just means where you want to save the files it creates. It can be a memory stick or another hard disk if you have one or a USB hard disk. Think of device=storage device.
Last edited by JerryF on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAlfare

Post by MAlfare »

Alvin wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:18 pm In trying to use timeshift, I come to the notice to select snapshot device. I can find no explanation for what is a snapshot device. I guess it is a storage device, such as a memory stick.
It is the place, where timeshift stores its snapshots.
It has to be an ext4 formatted partition.
Capacity?
Big enough :D
Would say at least twice as large as your root partition without /home.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

The documentation for the highly praised Timeshift is extremely poor, vague. I just wasted about 90 minutes only to receive notification that my 32GB memory stick was 8GB out of space - though another indicator revealed there was 16GB left.
No more time wasting on Timeshift, thank you, Linux!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Alvin wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:59 pm The documentation for the highly praised Timeshift is extremely poor, vague.
I have to concur. It's in my view a very good program that suffers from a lack of good documentation. It really saved my butt only last month!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MAlfare

Post by MAlfare »

Alvin wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:59 pm The documentation for the highly praised Timeshift is extremely poor, vague. I just wasted about 90 minutes only to receive notification that my 32GB memory stick was 8GB out of space - though another indicator revealed there was 16GB left.
No more time wasting on Timeshift, thank you, Linux!
You want documentation?
Are you really interested or do you just want to fool around?
Are you willing and able to read (and understand)?
Try it!

The_Mystery_of_Timeshift.pdf
http://e.pc.cd/DMeotalK

Space requirements of Timeshift SnapShots.pdf
http://e.pc.cd/TgeotalK

Independency_of_TS_snapshots.pdf
http://e.pc.cd/PgeotalK

Return to “Software & Applications”