Backups prior full install upgrade: [Resolved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kester
Level 5
Level 5

Backups prior full install upgrade: [Resolved]

Post by Kester »

Hi,

Its a little way off yet but after reading other posts on this subject I thought I should be prepared for the next LTS upgrade. Previously I have upgraded via the updater without problem but note that the forum experts advise a fresh installation. My questions relate to using the Linux Mint Backup Tool to backup my datafiles and installed software.

i) It is recommended that such backups are stored on external devices - does the format matter or should it be EXT4 which my system uses?

ii) Will the the 'Back Up Now....' features for personal data and software selection cover all the changes I have made?

iii) Will the 'Restore....' features for personal data and software selection restore everything after the upgrade?

I regularly create image backups of my systems so I am prepared if something goes terribly wrong and will be able to get back to the pre-upgrade situation. I have two Linux Mint 20.3 systems: one is part of a dual boot arrangement desktop with Windows 7 and the other is a stand alone desktop system linked with a Xubuntu 20.04 installation on an external HDD - will the Grub be affected by full installations of Mint? For example, will the dual boot arrangement still work after the upgrade and are there any precautions I should take to ensure Windows 7 is not wiped other than to ensure I know what partition is what?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Backups prior full install upgrade:

Post by RIH »

Kester wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:57 am i) It is recommended that such backups are stored on external devices - does the format matter or should it be EXT4 which my system uses?
It doesn't really matter. Mine, last time, was NTFS.
Kester wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:57 am ii) Will the the 'Back Up Now....' features for personal data and software selection cover all the changes I have made?
As far as I am aware, Yes, but you do need to tick the box for "hidden files" when backing up personal data.
Kester wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:57 am iii) Will the 'Restore....' features for personal data and software selection restore everything after the upgrade?
For software No.
Restoring the Software selection file has a number of caveats.
1. If the application is no longer in the software repositories then it cannot install it.
2. It will only restore Applications that were originally installed either by apt, Synaptic Package Manager or Software Sources even if the Application now actually exists in the Repositories.

The restore does, however, give you a very clear list of what it has not installed. This allows you to go away & either install manually or find a replacement Application.
Kester wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:57 am For example, will the dual boot arrangement still work after the upgrade and are there any precautions I should take to ensure Windows 7 is not wiped other than to ensure I know what partition is what?
My personal situation is that I have Windows & Mint installed on two separate drives.
With my situation, I have never had an issue.
In theory, you shouldn't either....but, it might be worthwhile deleting your old Mint partition before installing the new & then selecting 'Install alongside Windows 7' when offered the choice by the installer.

Personally I also back up my Browser 'favourites' & passwords & then reinstall them on the new copy.
I also take a screen shot of my Themes & Fonts settings.. belts & braces a bit, but I like to be confident about it.

The first time I did this, I did a dummy run with an install of the new Mint in VirtualBox & then did all the updating.
That gave me a great deal of confidence that it would work & what Applications I had to go searching for.. :D
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jymm »

Another thing I like to back up is my email program, which is Thunderbird for me. I export my contacts and events from my calendar. Also on browsers I make a list of add-ons so I don't miss anything.
Back up like you WILL have problems, and you will be prepared if you do.
Kester
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kester »

Thanks RIH and Jymm for your very helpful replies.

Cheers.

Return to “Software & Applications”