cannot send email with SeaMonkey after switch from 18.3 Cinnamon to 20.3 MATE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ryancw
Level 1
Level 1

cannot send email with SeaMonkey after switch from 18.3 Cinnamon to 20.3 MATE

Post by ryancw »

I made the change described in the subject line. I like to use SeaMonkey for all my internet activity, so I installed it in my new 20.3 MATE--not via Synaptic since it was not offered but by downloading from the SeaMonkey website and uzipping into /opt. Then I copied by profile folder from my old /home/rcw/.mozilla/seamonkey directory into the corresponding location in my new 20.3. Then I used profile manager to point my new SM to that profile folder, newly copied over. All IMAP mail was readily available. I can get new mail. But when I compose a new email to send, nothing happens when I click the SEND button. Just nothing, Nor can I save a newly composed email to Drafts--again, nothing happens. No error messages.

Anyone with the experience before? Advice?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: cannot send email with SeaMonkey after switch from 18.3 Cinnamon to 20.3 MATE

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can also post your query at https://www.seamonkey-project.org/community
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: cannot send email with SeaMonkey after switch from 18.3 Cinnamon to 20.3 MATE

Post by bin »

ryancw wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:46 pm I made the change described in the subject line. I like to use SeaMonkey for all my internet activity, so I installed it in my new 20.3 MATE--not via Synaptic since it was not offered but by downloading from the SeaMonkey website and uzipping into /opt. Then I copied by profile folder from my old /home/rcw/.mozilla/seamonkey directory into the corresponding location in my new 20.3. Then I used profile manager to point my new SM to that profile folder, newly copied over. All IMAP mail was readily available. I can get new mail. But when I compose a new email to send, nothing happens when I click the SEND button. Just nothing, Nor can I save a newly composed email to Drafts--again, nothing happens. No error messages.

Anyone with the experience before? Advice?

Thanks.
There's a few things that may be relevant. If you 'installed' SM, ran it and then copied over your profile folder you may find it is at the wrong level in ~/.mozilla.
Poke around in the original and make sure that it you nnn.default folder is home/rcw/.mozilla/seamonkey/nnn.default.
Go to the new .mozilla folder and rename the seamonkey folder and then make sure that you copy the original seamonkey folder into ~/.mozilla rather than ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/ if that makes sense. I don't think you would have needed to do anything with profile manager. I have just repeated your exercise with my (now unused) SM install and it worked OK. The only difference is that mine was from an earlier version.

If all that's OK and still no joy then double check to make sure the server settings are all correct - if you are on gmail then it may be you need to change the authentication to Oauth in the SMTP server section.
ryancw
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED cannot send email with SeaMonkey after switch from 18.3 Cinnamon to 20.3 MATE

Post by ryancw »

turned out the problem was the "Orthodox" add-on theme I had installed. Removed that, and all is well. Too bad--I liked that old-school look.

Thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”