NEW foxclone50 linux image backup

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

NEW foxclone50 linux image backup

Post by AndyMH »

The existing topic was many pages long and was drifting off in different directions, so I've started a new one.

There is now a beta version of foxclone50. It can be downloaded from https://www.foxclone.org/ (this is the 'archive' site). There is an iso to download and a deb file.

This is a complete re-write of foxclone, primarily to improve maintainability of the code so basic functionality is unchanged. I used the opportunity to make some minor cosmetic changes.

Foxclone:
  • nearly all windows are now resizable. Note if you resize the progress window there is a 3 second delay before it catches up. Underneath partclone is running on a 3 second update cycle.
  • you can change the text size - for those with poor eyesight, you will need to manually resize the windows to accommodate larger text.
  • default is now to select all partitions on a backup and if you want to deselect partitions you need to go to the settings tab and enable 'partition selection'. This to make it more difficult for newbies to make mistakes.
  • troubleshooting in the event of a problem is easier - enable debugging on the settings tab and it saves a file on the desktop - email it to help@foxclone.com.
  • more error checking, particularly when backing up/restoring.
In the iso:
  • lightdm replaces slim as the display manager - of interest to nobody but me!
  • connecting to wifi - it will prompt for your password (existing foxclone is clunky).
  • reverted to pcmanfm as the file manager replacing thunar (which had some issues).
  • there is a utility to set the timezone if date/time is showing incorrectly (an issue for some users).
The iso is a 5.4 kernel. Next job is to try and build a version with a 5.13 or later kernel for those with new hardware. Particularly those who are unable to turn off RST and set the sata mode AHCI - they cannot see their sata drives with a 5.4 kernel.

As always, feedback welcomed, comments here or at help@foxclone.com. Subject to no significant bugs being reported, I'll upload it to the main site https://www.foxclone.com/ in a couple of weeks to replace the current version.

Backing up a dual boot win10 + LM19.2 drive booting in UEFI mode:
Screenshot from 2022-01-28 15-37-07.png

EDIT 3 Feb - there is now a version with a 5.13 kernel available to download, download size is larger than I would like.

Note - initially unconvinced, I've become a fan of ventoy. Found it a lot easier during testing - just copy the new iso to the ventoy stick, before it was burn iso to stick with mint's usb image writer. The only complaint - download ventoy, burn it to a stick, boot from it, what next? You need to install ventoy to the stick you just booted from. Thereafter from mint you will see an exfat partition on the stick - you just copy isos to it, as many as you want and not just foxclone.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: NEW foxclone linux image backup

Post by mikeflan »

We sure appreciate you doing that Andy. I don't know if it makes sense to get a stable version into Software Manager or not. Maybe someday. I see clonezilla is in Software Manager, but you really should get the boot version of these programs and not what is offered on Software Manager.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Andy,

I really appreciate all of the hard work you have put into this.
You made me a Convert to Foxclone back with Vs. 43 or so, never used anything else since.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I don't know if it makes sense to get a stable version into Software Manager or not.
Not really, you can't image a live filesystem, so not a lot of point in putting it in the mint repos. But...

Once foxclone has settled down, I have plans for a cloning tool. Foxclone clones but:
  • you have to boot from a separate OS, e.g. the iso.
  • you cannot clone from a larger drive to smaller drive (well you can but you have to shrink the partitions on the source to fit).
  • you cannot boot the clone with the original source drive still in the system - clone is identical, same UUIDs on partitions, confuses BIOS.
What I have in mind is:
  • a deb file - install to your current system.
  • clones to a new drive - all partitions have new UUIDs*.
  • resizes partitions to fit - I'd like to have a 'gparted like' interface so the user can adjust partition sizes or delete partitions.
  • updates fstab to reflect the new UUIDs.
  • installs grub to the new drive.
  • clone will boot with the source drive still in the system.
Now that would be worth putting in the mint repos.

* except for win C: in a dual boot, not messing around with fixing win to boot when the UUID has changed. Don't know the details of how win boots and no interest in finding out.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: NEW foxclone50 linux image backup

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:49 pm

Note - initially unconvinced, I've become a fan of ventoy. Found it a lot easier during testing - just copy the new iso to the ventoy stick, before it was burn iso to stick with mint's usb image writer. The only complaint - download ventoy, burn it to a stick, boot from it, what next? You need to install ventoy to the stick you just booted from. Thereafter from mint you will see an exfat partition on the stick - you just copy isos to it, as many as you want and not just foxclone.
I probably should put this in a new thread, but I have looked all over the Ventoy website, got the ISO downloaded,

but? you say it is not ready to use yet, you still have to install Ventoy ( the app itself? )
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You have to download the ventoy iso, burn it to a stick and then boot it. Can't remember the exact details but you then have to install it (it wasn't obvious) - choose the stick you just booted from. Reboot into mint and you will see an exfat partition on the stick (nemo should automount it) - just copy your isos to that partition. Then next time you boot from the ventoy stick it will give you a list of the isos you can boot - choose the one you want.

EDIT - I got it wrong, you don't download an iso. Think I downloaded the tar.gz, extracted it and ran VentoyGUI.x86_64. I do have a ventoy iso in my downloads folder, maybe it was created by running the program, can't remember?
Last edited by AndyMH on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

cheers ..... I'll give this a whirl after coffee :)

Ventoy ....... yes it's the bomb :D
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I made a tutorial on how to install Ventoy onto a USB stick back when I first got it. Here it is:
How to Install Ventoy.pdf
(42.51 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:15 pm You have to download the ventoy iso, burn it to a stick and then boot it. Can't remember the exact details but you then have to install it (it wasn't obvious) - choose the stick you just booted from. Reboot into mint and you will see an exfat partition on the stick (nemo should automount it) - just copy your isos to that partition. Then next time you boot from the ventoy stick it will give you a list of the isos you can boot - choose the one you want.
Had to do it twice, before it really sunk in...

but it is now working, I threw a few ISOs on it that I like to have handy.
the first was Gasp! Foxclone :P :P

Now, instead of carrying my pocket full of flash drives, I can just put this one on my Keychain :P

thanks Andy for pushing me over the cliff. :wink:
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

Some older machines may not fancy new kernels much. Mine prefers 5.0.0-31, for example, and with 4.15 - nothing later than that! - can also see and use the Express Card slot (where a HSPA modem can reside for Internet connection). Having Foxlone jump at kernel 5.4 may impair such older machines.
So, any way to provide Foxclone with an alternative kernel to select from at boot time?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If I can build it with a 5.13 kernel, I should be able to build with, say, a 4.19 kernel. The intention is not to replace the current 5.4 version, but offer it as an alternative.
Had to do it twice, before it really sunk in...
Ventoy - It wasn't obvious to me first time, but don't think I'll be flashing an iso again the old way.
Last edited by AndyMH on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:52 pm If I can build it with a 5.13 kernel, I should be able to build with, say, a 4.19 kernel. The intention is not to replace the current 5.4 version, but offer it as an alternative.
A 4.19 wouldn't help with Express Card, not even 4.18 can deal with it properly - at least on my machine (Samsung R-580 + Huawei E3735 HSPA Express Data Card).
Having an older kernel as an alternative would be the best choice indeed, as well as a much newer one - preferrably not 5.13 which apparently has certain issues.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:50 pm I probably should put this in a new thread, but I have looked all over the Ventoy website, got the ISO downloaded,

but? you say it is not ready to use yet, you still have to install Ventoy ( the app itself? )
You do not need to use .iso to install Ventoy.There is an installer for Windows and Linux that only requires you to pre-format the USB to FAT32. You then install in the standard way. When a new version comes out, it offers two buttons - install, which destroys everything on the flash drive, and upgrade on the previous version with preservation of the .iso files already uploaded.
Ventoy works beautifully for boot disks - tools, FOXCLONE, installing a new OS and so on.
https://ventoy.net/en/index.html
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

diabolicbg wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:08 am
AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:50 pm I probably should put this in a new thread, but I have looked all over the Ventoy website, got the ISO downloaded,

You do not need to use .iso to install Ventoy.There is an installer for Windows and Linux that only requires you to pre-format the USB to FAT32. You then install in the standard way. When a new version comes out, it offers two buttons - install, which destroys everything on the flash drive, and upgrade on the previous version with preservation of the .iso files already uploaded.
Ventoy works beautifully for boot disks - tools, FOXCLONE, installing a new OS and so on.
Those have to be one of the most confusing directions I've ever seen.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:49 am

What exactly do you not understand? There are also explanations on the site, so I gave the link.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

diabolicbg wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:32 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:49 am
What exactly do you not understand? There are also explanations on the site, so I gave the link.
What do I not understand? All of it! There are too many options to choose and the directions aren't complete, assuming people know certain things already. When I first installed Ventoy, back when the directions were simpler, I had to go to Boobtube to find a video that had directions I could understand. That's why I wrote myself a tutorial so I could remember how to do it it again.
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I agree with Lady F,

the Ventoy site is the most poorly designed web site and instructions that I have ever seen.
just from their instructions, I would never have guessed how to get it done, w/o AndyMH helping me.

it is written for those who have been using Ventoy, not to invite new users to join the fan club.

In any event, my Flash Drive is working, and I have a few ISOs installed on it, I like the darn thing, so will have to somehow get used to their web site.

Does it automatically search for updates, do I have to do a search for updates manually?
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

Certain ISOs (such as Mageia 8, Knoppix v8-9) are larger than the max. 4GB accepted by FAT32. Since Ventoy wants FAT32 on the stick how would it deal with such large image files? Simply reject them, I assume?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Drugwash wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:01 am Certain ISOs (such as Mageia 8, Knoppix v8-9) are larger than the max. 4GB accepted by FAT32. Since Ventoy wants FAT32 on the stick how would it deal with such large image files? Simply reject them, I assume?
I wondered about that, the largest ISO that I have on file is 3.8 GB and it went on just fine.
kali-linux-2021.4a-live-amd64-2 is the big boy at 3.8 GB

the 16 GB stick has a lot of room left on it, doubt that I ever need more than that, if so, 64 GB sticks are available.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Drugwash wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:01 am Certain ISOs (such as Mageia 8, Knoppix v8-9) are larger than the max. 4GB accepted by FAT32. Since Ventoy wants FAT32 on the stick how would it deal with such large image files? Simply reject them, I assume?
The partition on the stick where you put your isos is formatted exfat. It puts the boot files in a small EFI partition formatted fat16.

Return to “Software & Applications”