unable to unlok keyring from cli

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alfonz19
Level 1
Level 1

unable to unlok keyring from cli

Post by alfonz19 »

I'd like to setup my env for passwordless login using u2f card, ie there is no password to unlock keyring with on startup, and prompt will appear on startup / on first use.

I found out, that I can simulate the situation it via locking the keyring using:

dbus-send --dest=org.gnome.keyring --print-reply /org/freedesktop/secrets org.freedesktop.Secret.Service.LockService

and then trying to access it. It won't be possible then I can do:

read -rsp pass: pass; echo -n "$pass" | gnome-keyring-daemon --replace --unlock

to 'unlock' it. Seems successful, but key keyring (seahorse) is not unlocked. What am I doing wrong?

also I'm using gpgagent, maybe that could be somehow related? I'm really lost in this area:

export GPG_TTY=$(tty)
gpg-connect-agent updatestartuptty /bye &> /dev/null
unset SSH_AGENT_PID
export SSH_AUTH_SOCK=$(gpgconf --list-dirs agent-ssh-socket)

thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: unable to unlok keyring from cli

Post by AZgl1800 »

To me,
it is much easier when doing a Fresh Install, to click the BOX for " Automatic Login "

That way, the PC will boot right up to the Desktop.
for me, my PCs are never out of my control, always in my house, or in my hands so that is not an issue.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
alfonz19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alfonz19 »

Yes, that's an option for desktops, when you live alone without kids and work on your machine. For work laptops on not-that-secure locations and kids around, it's not ideal.

Typical solution is to have empty password in keychain. I can do that as last resort, or I can use password login and use u2f for other authentication only. That's trivial.

But really, if there is unlock option in `gnome-keyring-daemon --replace --unlock` and command allegedly succeeds, I'd like to have unlocked keyring. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

See "man gnome-keyring-daemon" with the "--unlock" option.

Return to “Software & Applications”