Can Napster be streamed on a browser in Linux?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 3
Level 3

Can Napster be streamed on a browser in Linux?

Post by SilenceIsG0lden »

Hi,
So, after encountering a Napster chat support person in India with rudimentary reading comprehension (Note: English isn't my first language either), I'm almost inclined to give up on researching it as an alternative to Spotify. (Yes, I've been upset for a long while about their buying Joe Rogan's podcast and podcasts general being so annoyingly everywhere in Spotify; I want to stop my Premium account with them.) I had picked Napster as they seem to pay out quite fairly to musicians/labels, unlike Spotify. (Another reason I want to switch.)
On https://help.napster.com/hc/en-us/artic ... leshooting they write that you would need a Windows 10 machine to stream Napster in any browser, and that neither Mac nor Linux are supported. However, going to their current internal charts: https://us.napster.com/chart/tracks and trying to play a song there proves to be successful.
There is no way to try it for real without getting an account. That would give me a 30 day free trial, BUT I would have to give them a credit card. I'm loathe to do that before I know it works.
Trying to find any information about this issue on the wider web is close to impossible because the braindead people who chose the name Napster over Rhapsody apparently forgot about Napster's dark past; 99% of all content relating to Napster is about the legality of "filesharing" and their long legal trouble.

Enough ranting: can someone verify if they are able to stream Napster in a browser on a Linux Mint machine?
Thank you oh so very much in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM 21.1 cinnamon on PC built by myself in 2008
LM 21.3 cinnamon on Macbook Air
Living in Linux Mint land since 2020, after decades on Microsoft (from DOS to Win7).
Chrismint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can Napster be streamed on a browser in Linux?

Post by Chrismint »

Napster just updated all its user interfaces, including a new native Linux app. Now they include music videos too. I haven't tried the native app yet, but I've been using Napster on Linux via Firefox for years... 99% nice, 1% bugs.
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can Napster be streamed on a browser in Linux?

Post by SilenceIsG0lden »

Great! Thanks for the info.

One more question, if I may, Chrismint: have you ever needed support and it got resolved satisfactorily?

I'm currently testing Qobuz, which I like a lot, even though their support seems to be non-existent -- two contact attempts via their website didn't even generate so much as a read receipt.
LM 21.1 cinnamon on PC built by myself in 2008
LM 21.3 cinnamon on Macbook Air
Living in Linux Mint land since 2020, after decades on Microsoft (from DOS to Win7).

Return to “Software & Applications”