No Bell on Helena

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hatch

No Bell on Helena

Post by Hatch »

Hello! I just upgraded to Helena and I have lost my terminal bell. It was working fine on Gloria. I found this thread where someone else was having the same problem, but it was unresolved. I get no output from "lsmod | grep spkr".

EDIT: I didn't upgrade, actually, I did a clean install but kept my home folder and /opt/local, which were on separate partitions.
EDIT2: Whoops! I meant my home folder and /usr/local!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: No Bell on Helena

Post by lagagnon »

I am using Gloria so am flying in the dark a bit but check the file below and see if "pcspkr" has been blacklisted. If so comment out that line (you must edit the file as sudo) and try again:

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

Ah! That was indeed an issue. I commented out the line with a "#" and rebooted. Now when I do "lsmod | grep spkr" I get:

Code: Select all

pcspkr                  2332  0
In spite of that, I still don't have a bell :(

[EDIT] After some googling, I checked and confirmed in gconf-editor that /apps/metacity/general/audible_bell and /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/audible_bell were enabled.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

This is actually quite amusing. The reason the spkr has been turned off in Ubuntu Karmic (hence Mint 8) is that there were so many complaints about speaker beeps from many users wen shutting down their machines! And now users apparently want the thing turned back on. Ahh well, you can't please all the people all the time! I'm quite happy I'm not a developer - what a thankless task! ;-)
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

I like the pcspkr because I often have audio coming from another machine and it's nice to have that feedback constantly. Seems like they should put it in some obvious preference menu, like, say, Audio :/

Anyhoo, problem's still not solved. I'll be grateful for any more advice :)
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

Still haven't found a solution for this.

Return to “Software & Applications”