Optional Media Server software for Linux Mint / LMDE ( other than Plex or KODI)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Makarios
Level 2
Level 2

Optional Media Server software for Linux Mint / LMDE ( other than Plex or KODI)

Post by Makarios »

I am looking for an Alternative to Both Plex and Kodi as media servers on a Linus Mint computer with the ability to view media using an Android tv box and Linux Mint (or LMDE) as a media server

I have been using KODI (as a mediaserver) on my Linux Mint 20.3 and watching downloaded Tv Series and Movies on my Android tv Box with Kodi App for a While and I am comfortable on its uses.

I understand the Plex media server is another option an I have installed that yesterday as well, I have also installed the Plex app on the Android box.

Both options work..I can watch the odd movie or series on my Computer with either media server and here they both work well and smoothly.

The test is when I watch the Tv series or movies on the android tv box. Tv Box is connected to Surround sound system and 65" tv..Kodi seems to work well. it has the odd issue with picking up a specific series but for the most is does the job.

I recently lost the KODI settings on my Android so I had to re do all the progress of watched vs not watched on the Android box. twice. so I started looking at Plex.

The plex server holds the info of watched or not on the Server ( ie my computer) not on the Media box...So if I loose the media box to power spikes etc, the detail is on the server...This is better than Kodi. However it seems to be re coding the media files when you want to play them so there is a delay almost like buffering and some files it just dont play ( Star trek Picard episode 1)

So hence my Question is there something else one can use...VLC works but I have not worked out how to maintain a record of what has been watched and what not..

Any Sugestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LPH_[retired]
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Optional Media Server software for Linux Mint / LMDE ( other than Plex or KODI)

Post by LPH_[retired] »

Perhaps Jellyfin might do what you need. I don't have Jellyfin installed but I'm this close to ditching Plex for it. I have used emby (Jellyfin is a fork) on a previous machine and it did what I needed at the time. (Primarily a music server and very very limited video)
Alcohol is gods apology for making us self aware.
James May
Makarios
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Optional Media Server software for Linux Mint / LMDE ( other than Plex or KODI)

Post by Makarios »

Hi LPH,

I have tried to use jellyfin, but could not get it to work.

Ive reverted to Kodi...It works well on my desktop and also on the android box, with the media residing on my desktop and the Android Tv Box's Kodi media folders pointed to my desktop

Ive also managed to work out the backup of Kodi on the android box, so if I lose something is not all the looked episodes I need to redo.

In the interim ive put in a inverter so my system no longer crashes when we have power outages.

Issue is I will likely need to do a database setup for the movies and series as I want to introduce a 2nd Kodi on either a Android box or a computer , still getting the media from my main desktop.

Any Suggestions?
terry_dwyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by terry_dwyer »

Or buy a UPS of suitable capacity for your media box to keep the power line problems away and use Plex to keep your history in one place
Makarios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Makarios »

My test of Plex, gave me the following headaches:

1. It seems unable to open certain Tv Series..see in posts above in this chain
2. it also buffers on my LAN..
3. it maxed out my CPU a few times where my CPU normally runs at lees than 30%

Just my 2nd attempt to use Plex and both were unsatisfactory
terry_dwyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by terry_dwyer »

In that case, in the plex client setup, set it to direct play only, then it won't transcode so low cpu usage. Also don't use subs that require encoding into the data stream or you'll end up with it transcoding anyway. The key to solve your problem with plex is to force direct play in the client settings. In the transcoder section of the server settings, minimise the amount of work the cpu has to do by trying the lightest loading options or possibly try disable video stream encoding.
As far as failing to open certain tv series, you may have a situation where your directory structure is not optimised for use by plex. It's directory structure should be:

Media server share -> Episodes -> Series Name -> Season + Number-> Episode.[mkv|mp4,avi,Or many other formats]

I have been running my plex server for literally years and have not had any problems with tv series or any other video. Your problem could be your player rather than your server. If you have a smart tv install it's plex client, do the settings I've mentioned above and I'm sure your situation will improve.

{Edit} I've just reread your 1st post and you dont say what your android player is. You have what is probably a smart tv that will be able to install it's own Plex client. Your TV will undoubtedly have significantly more grunt than the android box, whatever it may be, so try it's native client. Bufferfing is usually because of the plex server transcoding. Client settings will fix that. If Kodi has no problems playing all your media without buffering then network speed is not the problem, so plex should work fine.

1) Give us some examples of specific media file types it can't open
2) Buffering on your ?lan? I think you mean <Plex media server> I've explained how to fix that
3) Maxed out CPU on the server is eliminated/reduced to near zero when the client uses Direct play.
The only thing that doesn't make sense is the file types you say plex can't open.

Good Luck
Makarios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Makarios »

Thanx a mil Terry,

Your feedback is highly appreciated..

I am not using the most expensive Android box so I am sure it has medium capabilities, however, it has never had any issues with either youtube, or my IPTV streaming etc....our internet is often dog slow, hence me preferring to download my series and movies and watching with a mediaplayer from local content rather than streaming directly.

any thoughts on the new release of Plex THPC? https://snapcraft.io/plex-htpc

I will reinstall plex again and have a look thank you so much.

Return to “Software & Applications”