Ubisoft Connect connection issues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Ubisoft Connect connection issues

Post by malonn »

I can't connect to Ubisoft Connect servers. When I launch the app under Wine 7.6 staging, it hangs at "initializing" and finally errors out with "Connection Lost. A ubisoft service is currently unavailable. Please try again later." My Wine log is clean, no errors. I'm on the latest MATE build. I net searched a good deal, and all "solutions" are geared towards Windows, of course, but none fixed my issue.

It's odd, because previously, I was on Cinnamon, and I had no problems with Connect. But on MATE, it doesn't work.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this. I heard that Ubisoft support is a waste of time, and I'm sure they won't care about a Linux issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ubisoft Connect connection issues

Post by ugly »

I have the same problem as well.

I haven't played Ubisoft games recently, so I don't know exactly when things stopped working. But I do know Ubisoft Connect was working previously.

I only recently tested Ubisoft Connect again after the latest Lutris update, which was about a month ago. And that's when I noticed it stopped working for me.

I have seen a few other people complain about connection issues with Ubisoft Connect, but I haven't seen any solutions.
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by malonn »

I'm running the latest Lutris too. And I thought back--it did work on MATE for a while. But I was launching it via Steam. Now, I'm launching it via Lutris. I can try to remove Lutris from the equation, but I don't have hopes it will make a difference.

Listening to you, it's like it worked one day, and the next day it does not.

Worth a shot to bypass Lutris. I'll post back with results.
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by malonn »

Nah. Attempting to launch directly from the terminal doesn't make a difference. I suspect it's a Wine thing.

I may compile a Proton build and see if it will launch under Proton. That'll work for me, if it does.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

malonn wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:47 pm Listening to you, it's like it worked one day, and the next day it does not.
Well, it's more like it worked 3 months ago, and it's not working now. I haven't played a Ubisoft game in a while. I kind of just had a bunch of games for testing. The only reason I found out that it wasn't working is because Lutris added better Ubisoft integration in the latest version, so I tried to log in to test it.

I did try a few different Wine versions through Lutris, and those also still end up with the same result. So, I wouldn't think it was some new Wine update that broke things.
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by malonn »

Heck, man. I was going to try older Wine versions, but after what you said, it may be a waste.

It worked fine under Steam and Proton for me a few months ago, so it's worth a shot.

I need to play Assassin's Creed games...
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you can do it in Steam or Lutris that's to be preferrewd over Wine. Wine is actually a really stupid idea that fails more often than not. And for something to work with it for some time and then stop working for no obviously apparent reason is no surprisel, it's to be expected.

WIne is a ridiculous hack and I really wish so many Linux newbies wouldn't delete their WIndows so soon expecting to be able to run their Windows apps with it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by malonn »

A hack, you say? I can't say I've heard it described quite that way.

But, the way it is is if you're on Linux (exclusively) and want a wide variety of the best AAA games, you're going to need Wine.

I've read that most VM's don't perform too well with games. VirtualBox is a no-go.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

I don't know what changed, but I tested it out again, and it Ubisoft Connect through Lutris works normally now. I saw a few other people mention the same thing.
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by malonn »

Hey, WTH, I read your post and immediately tested, too. BAM! I'm logged in. Maybe a Ubisoft server thing? I don't know, but Assassin's Creed, here I come.

Thanks @ugly.
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by malonn »

Okay, let me throw this question out there. Can you actually get a game to launch via Connect? I installed Assassin's Creed II, pressed "Play", it updated the game; DirectX; and nothing. WineDB says the game is platinum (old entry) and works right out of the box. Of course, a net search turns up mostly Windows stuff. The game won't launch. Wine logs are rife with errors, but they are all from Connect. No entries related to the game.

Has Ubisoft broke something? I don't know. I can try a different game to see if it launches. I can try different Wine versions. I can try Proton. But I don't want to spin my wheels for something I'm confident won't fix the issue. Far Cry 4 ran fine for me via Steam (Connect required) a while back.

I don't know. Any tips would be appreciated. A wild guess says it's Ubisoft. The game files won't verify. Errors out. I tried downloading via Connect and installing from a local backup from back in my Windows days (starting to miss those days in lieu of games), but nada.

Can't hate on Linux and gaming too much when it comes to Steam. I've had not so much as one issue with Steam.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

Hard to say. There might still be issues.

I did a few quick tests. For some reason, all the games that I had previously installed had to be re-installed (the game files were still in the download folder, so it was able re-discover them).

Splinter Cell worked fine. But that's an old game.

I tried Far Cry 3, and it failed to start. This game had worked previously. It asked me to give my login again before I tried to start it.

I tried Assassin's Creed 3. The game opened up fine, but when you get to the main title screen of the game, it says it's attempting to log into the Ubisoft servers. It just hung there. I remember I had this game running previously as well.

So, maybe there is still some connection error. Since an old game like Splinter Cell works, which probably doesn't require any special communication to servers to play. But more modern games, are still having issues connecting while in game.
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by malonn »

Thanks for the feedback, @ugly. For lack of a better idea, I'll chalk my issue up to Ubisoft Connect. The platform does not officially support gaming on Linux, and I'm sure the devs put coding for Linux way down on the totem pole.

Maybe one day, eh...
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by malonn »

Well, I fired up Connect today, it updated, and I crossed my fingers as I tried to launch AC. It loaded! I don't know what Ubisoft did (or Wine--I'm running the latest 7.12), but I'm in business now.

Just thought I'd share for those with similar issues. Sorry for necro-posting.

Return to “Software & Applications”