cropping tutorial for pinta (for newbies)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Re: cropping tutorial for pinta (for newbies)

Post by Menard »

:lol: I ve still never seen a crop tool for Linux that work .... and I believe I tried all and I kept finally Pix but I am on Linux since 2017 and still start Windows when I want to crop pictures :mrgreen:

A real crop tool doesn't need neither a tutorial nor a topic on a forum, in the theory

For me the crop tool and de the resizing tool are so current and simple tools that they must be integrated in a viewer that works, but I use Pix for this ... but it works neither as a correct crop tool, nor to visualize pictures one by one and quick enough ... so ... :|
Last edited by Menard on Sat May 14, 2022 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I'm definitely no expert, but that only happens when I change the picture format (from .png to .jpg, for example). It's a carryover from the old Imagemagik that has been deprecated. When a modified pic was saved, Imagemagik always asked for an image quality entry, which makes sense if the mime-type is being converted to another. If the mime-type isn't changed the pop-up won't appear in Pinta. When it shows, I suggest you put it to '100' and move on.

I like Pinta because it's easier to use than Gimp, which has too steep a learning curve for a casual user such as myself. I crop, change image sizes, etc. and sometimes change formats and it just works with a minimum of fuss.
Attachments
PintaScreenshot.png
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Cropping is simple using Pix. Open image in Pix, click the pencil icon to display editing options,
click the crop button, size and position the rectangle and press the Crop button again--done.
Most editors save or export in the same format as the image. If you change the extension from .png to .jpg
in the save box you will be able to adjust the quality slider all the way to 100 if quality is more important
than file size. A 1.3MB .png creates a 75KB .jpg after a 50% crop and saved with 85% jpg range (quality setting).
pixcrop.jpg
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

when i do the screenshot, does it capture it in .png?
If you are taking the screenshot with Mint, using the 'Print Screen' key, yes, the default is .png. Some screenshot programs give the option of file type, but even then, the default is .png--at least the ones I've used.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

all41 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:38 pm Cropping is simple using Pix. Open image in Pix, click the pencil icon to display editing options,
click the crop button, size and position the rectangle and press the Crop button again--done.
Most editors save or export in the same format as the image. If you change the extension from .png to .jpg
in the save box you will be able to adjust the quality slider all the way to 100 if quality is more important
than file size. A 1.3MB .png creates a 75KB .jpg after a 50% crop and saved with 85% jpg range (quality setting).
pixcrop.jpg
It is simple if you never touched the second part of the rules, called Proportions or ratio, rules or what, just between Selections and Options
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

linux wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:02 pm if a pro is reading this, when i go to save an image in pinta, it asks me a jpg range to save it as , default is 85,,how do i set it to 100, and more importantly how do i turn this off, i don't want to be prompted each time ya know.
Pro ? No, I'm more an inkscape user.
Unlike Pix, Pinta has no obvious way to save these type of preferences. Even in Pix it may not be possible to suppress the nag pop-up(?)
Pinta has it's warts but at least it doesn't overwhelm casual users (looking at you Gimp)

edit/ It turns out Pinta remembers the last setting. Drag the slider to 100% and it will remember that setting, at least how it works here.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The downside for me is Pinta's dependency list.
All those mono runtimes and libraries
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Software & Applications”