How to get Qt flatpak apps to use the system's theme?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintypinky
Level 1
Level 1

How to get Qt flatpak apps to use the system's theme?

Post by mintypinky »

I'm currently using Mint 20.3 Cinnamon with the Mint-Y-Dark-Grey and both native apps and GTK flatpak apps use the same theme, although I had to install Mint-Y-Dark-Grey as a flatpak.

That was all well and good but, recently, I decided to install the Strawberry Music Player as a Flatpak, to replace Clementine (it's parent project, installed from apt), which I have installed, since it seems to have become abandonware a long time ago.

The problem is: Strawberry doesn't use the Mint-Y-Dark-Grey theme, but what seems to be its default Qt look.

How can I make it and any other Qt app use the correct Mint theme?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How to get Qt flatpak apps to use the system's theme?

Post by spamegg »

Generally speaking, GTK and Qt won't use the same themes. You can change Qt themes in the Qt5 Settings in the Menu.

Making Qt apps look like GTK apps is not a simple task. You might want to look here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unifor ... plications
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to get Qt flatpak apps to use the system's theme?

Post by Hoser Rob »

Actually you can have theming differences wven with GTK apps in a GTK environment. This because these are portable programs with their own runtime libraries bundled.

For Qt themes it is harder. The best way is probably to use a system theme that's shared by both GTK and Qt environments. I thinki that arch link will tell you how.

I don't think that's the answer you're looking for but I don't think there's any really good answers to this. I'd just live with it myself.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”