Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Intio
Level 3
Level 3

Increased RAM usage since update

Post by Intio » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:58 pm

Since installing Mint 8 the idle RAM usage has been around 170MB (which immediately impressed me as a new user!), however as of half an hour ago the idle RAM usage is now around 255MB - since my recent update. I have never changed update sources, and only ever installed level 1, 2, and 3. I know I can access the update history from within the manager, but I don't want to have to get rid of each one individually until I stumble on the culprit.

I have checked system monitor and I don't see anything in there that was different from last time. I though maybe mintMenu was taking up a few extra MB than it normally did - but not an extra 85MB! I do have 2GB of RAM, but that's not the point, right? Can someone tell me what is going on?
Asus Eee 701 Netbook - 2GB OCZ RAM
Debian Edition - Xfce

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Increased RAM usage since update

Post by lagagnon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:16 am

That information is not enough for us to help you because memory usage is quite complex and depends on whether that memory has been cached or buffered or not. My suggestion is to learn to read and understand the "free" command in a terminal ("man free" for more details). This will show you what is cached and what is not. Suggest you reboot and run before and after an update to see what is happening. Also learn to use "top" and "ps aux" to analyze what processes are consuming RAM and CPU resources.

I suspect mintUpdate uses RAM to update, which is buffered or cached when it is completed and when done your available RAM is probably very similar, so in all likelihood nothing to worry about.

Intio
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Increased RAM usage since update

Post by Intio » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:25 am

Iagagnon wrote:Suggest you reboot and run before and after an update to see what is happening.
Yes, I did at least do that before I thought there was a problem. I've now had occasion to boot up a few times now, and everything has gone back to normal. I think I got a bit histrionic considering that the increased RAM usage only lingered for one reboot.

I have however learned of some new linux commands (thanks), so not a total waste then :D
Asus Eee 701 Netbook - 2GB OCZ RAM
Debian Edition - Xfce

Return to “Software & Applications”