Nemo: Always use breadcrumb mode

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amethylghostling
Level 1
Level 1

Nemo: Always use breadcrumb mode

Post by amethylghostling »

When I use Control L to toggle and select location entry, nemo defaults to the location entry. I have to click toggle location entry each time to get back to the breadcrumb. How can I make it so that when I press Control L and then enter a location, nemo changes back to the breadcrumb instead of keeping the location entry.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Nemo: Always use location bar

Post by Cosmo. »

I wonder, why you want to get back to the breadcrumb mode (this is the usually used term for what you called location bar), if you do not use it?
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

If I press Ctrl+L, then press Esc, it goes back to the location bar (breadcrumbs).

If you want a "only one-use change, then automatically change back" kind of behavior, you might want to make a Feature Request to the Mint devs: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/

You might also be interested in the dconf-editor entries /org/nemo/preferences/show-location-entry and /org/nemo/window-state/start-with-location-bar
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

spamegg wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:36 pm and /org/nemo/window-state/start-with-location-bar
Looking at nemo's source I'm pretty sure this key is obsolete and does nothing.

Someone asked a similar question recently - the best I could come up with was to ensure that a new window is always in pathbar (aka breaccrumb) mode

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=373712
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Ah OK. dconf is so full of obsolete values, I really can't tell :?
Personally I'm OK with pressing Esc to make it go back to breadcrumbs.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

smurphos wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:38 am
spamegg wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:36 pm and /org/nemo/window-state/start-with-location-bar
Looking at nemo's source I'm pretty sure this key is obsolete and does nothing.

Someone asked a similar question recently - the best I could come up with was to ensure that a new window is always in pathbar (aka breaccrumb) mode

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=373712
These keys still work:
dconf write /org/nemo/preferences/show-location-entry true
dconf write /org/nemo/preferences/show-location-entry false

Unfortunately the changes do not aplly to currently opened instances of nemo--but to subsequent instances.
I prefer the textual path most of the time, but there is navigational advantage to the buttons.
I think having both displayed simultaneously would be handy.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Software & Applications”