Celluloid not opening certain files [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abarreiros
Level 1
Level 1

Celluloid not opening certain files [SOLVED]

Post by abarreiros »

Just yesterday I was using celluloid normally to reproduce any kind of videos. Today I noticed that I'm not able to reproduce some videos anymore, specially high quality ones, only very low quality ones, with .avi extension mostly. Is it possible that some package update just broke my celluloid installation somehow? If not, I'm open to try some ideas, I really like celluloid and I would like to keep it as my main video player. Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DOGGO_Woo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Celluloid not opening certain files

Post by DOGGO_Woo »

abarreiros wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:44 pm Just yesterday I was using celluloid normally to reproduce any kind of videos. Today I noticed that I'm not able to reproduce some videos anymore, specially high quality ones, only very low quality ones, with .avi extension mostly. Is it possible that some package update just broke my celluloid installation somehow?
What Linux Mint version are you running? On MATE, there have been no updates to celluloid according to Update Manager.
abarreiros
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Celluloid not opening certain files

Post by abarreiros »

I'm using 20.3 Cinnamon

Code: Select all

Distributor ID:	Linuxmint
Description:	Linux Mint 20.3
Release:	20.3
Codename:	una
I did not installed any update manually, however I've been installing and compiling some libraries, openCV and some other, maybe mpv itself or celluloid depend on libraries I messed up with.
abarreiros
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Celluloid not opening certain files [SOLVED]

Post by abarreiros »

Somehow in miscellaneous preferences there was a mpv extra option, it was setted up like this, (I didn't changed ever, seems like a default value):

hwdec=true
It seems that configuration don't work for me, so I investigated a little more here https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/mpv and I finally I left my extra options like this:

hwdec=auto-copy, hwdec-codecs=all
It also works perfectly fine if I just leave it blank, probably you'll not use hardware decoding though.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Celluloid not opening certain files [SOLVED]

Post by Hoser Rob »

Beieve it or not, the mpv devs recommend turning OFF hardware decoding. You get better compatibility, and the truth is that you only really needed it 20 years ago.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”