VPN requires password

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Taterman
Level 1
Level 1

VPN requires password

Post by Taterman »

Is there a way to make an app (a VPN) trusted so that it doesn't require the system password to run? Maybe the phase is making it a "trusted app". I am the only user of this PC.
System: Kernel: 5.4.0-110-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.4.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.7 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: VPN requires password

Post by djph »

You'd have to set it in the sudo configuration. The command sudo visudo (the sudo configuration is one of those files where editing by hand can be very bad if you make a mistake).

Do be aware that this is somewhat dangerous, as if the VPN application were ever to be compromised in some way, your machine now has no way to check that it really is you asking for it to launch.

Add this to the bottom of the file:

username = (root) NOPASSWD:/exact/path/to/the/vpn/executable

where:
  • "username" is your username
  • "(root)" means that you're running the rest as the root user
  • "NOPASSWD:/path/to/command" indicates that you are allowed to run COMMAND with no password required
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The strongly advised method is to use a password manager like keepassxc. If properly set up all you have to do for a password (not only in this case) is to press a key-combination; the password manager fills in the proper password for you, you do not even need to look it up.

Here is the manual about using AutoType, the method, that gets used for it: https://keepassxc.org/docs/KeePassXC_Us ... _auto_type
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

Keepass isn't gonna prevent him from needing his "system password" to launch the application though. Uh, well, assuming I read the OP right, that is :mrgreen:

(That being said, I love it for all services that require username / password for auth)
Taterman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Taterman »

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just live with it as is.

Return to “Software & Applications”