Simple HTML editor suggestions?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Simple HTML editor suggestions?

Post by bjornmu »

I have suddenly become webmaster for the local stamp club after the previous webmaster passed away last month :( (he was only 60). After some back and forth I finally got access to update the web pages. I could download the whole shebang with rsync and then I can edit locally before rsync'ing changes back to the server (which runs on some obscure Linux btw).

There's no interactive stuff, no javascript or php or anything "fancy", just HTML with JPG and PDF files. Seems like the pages had been created with Microsoft Word and I could open them in Libreoffice but they look rather ugly. Whenever there's a non-asciii character (lots of those in Norwegian text), Libreoffice replaces it *and* the following character with a ? so it'll be a bit hassle to update.

Suggestions for a simple WYSIWYG editor? I thought about using emacs just for a quick fix but the generated HTML is just too horrible to edit manually. :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Simple HTML editor suggestions?

Post by xenopeek »

SeaMonkey may fit the bill: https://www.seamonkey-project.org/. It's a web browser and has a built-in WYSIWYG editor (composer). If you have a page opened in the web browser you can do File > Edit Page (Ctrl+E) to open the page in the composer to WYSIWYG edit it. Changes you make you can save back to disk.

I don't think it is in Software Manager but they have Linux download on the website, extract the downloaded archive and you can run it from there. No installation needed. You can make a menu launcher for it yourself.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

Thanks, that was much better than Libreoffice. There were some minor issues though. I wanted to center some paragraphs of text but it just wasn't possible. And it refused to enable a Norwegian dictionary until I installed a combined dictionary. 🤨 I also see that it added some unnecessarily duplicated style setting around fragments of the text that I copy-pasted from another window.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

bluefish
Meets my simple html needs. Install from software manager.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

BlueGriffon. Download the deb from their website; though it is done for Ubuntu 16.04, it installs on Mint 19.x and 20.x.

Regards,

MN
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Intertesting, seamonkey sounds much better as an html editor than it is as a browser.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hartley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hartley »

I use Kate. It does mean a bit of screwdrivering, but even with some complexity on the site Kate can handle it. And you learn HTML. ;)

Return to “Software & Applications”