Clonezilla live problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gnappi
Level 3
Level 3

Clonezilla live problem

Post by gnappi »

I've been using Clonezilla live since Mint 18 through 20.3 (I'm currently using 20.3) with unchanged hardware without issues until today.

Today I copied a drive, but this time I had it do a disk check and the copy went fine, or so I thought. I always test boot the copy to make certain the copy boots OK and it did without a hitch.

Then I booted the original source drive to make a second copy. That's when the problem started.

I got the error below even though the correct source disk is highlighted. Even the newly cloned disk has the same error. Any ideas?
clonezilla_error_r.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Clonezilla live problem

Post by t42 »

gnappi wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:09 pm Then I booted the original source drive to make a second copy.
It's unclear how you could boot the "source drive" using live clonzilla system.
-=t42=-
gnappi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gnappi »

I booted and used clonezilla from the CD THEN I boot the source and the copied drive to make sure they work, then tried to make a second copy from the source drive
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Are you attempting to make a second clone to the same disk that you used for the first clone? If that is the case, the system probably sees the source disk and the target disk as the same disk (everything, including the uuid is the same for the clone and the source). If I misunderstand what you are trying to do, I apologize.

I ditched clonezilla for Foxclone a couple of years ago. Foxclone is a straightforward gui and the developer is on this list to help solve problems when they are encountered. I ran into some problems cloning Apple computers with clonezilla due to keyboard drivers, which required a separate usb keyboard and hub to get any keyboard input. Never had a problem with Foxclone.
gnappi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gnappi »

Maybe my terninology is messed up.

I have been using clonezilla a long time. Let me rephrase..

I always use clonezilla booted from the CD/DVD drive

My source disk is ALWAYS my main O/S boot disk.

I have two spare 1tb drives which I have always used as clones or destination drives.

After cloning one drive I boot the newly cloned drive with no other drive installed it to make sure it cloned.

Then I reinstall my original source drive, install the second spare 1tb drive in an external USB 3 drive "caddy" and clone that one. Remove my source drive, install the copied drive and verify that it boots and all recent files are there, then reinstall my original source drive.

I can no longer make ANY clones, I get the error screen from clonezilla.

Any ideas from the screen cap I posted?
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

The error says that your source disk is either mounted, or not recognized. Since you've been plugging and unplugging the internal drive, I'd have a look at the cable connection. Your internal sata drive should be plugged into the same sata port that it came out of (had that problem with a Dell, once). I'd also boot a live usb and attempt a look at the internal drive with GParted.
gnappi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gnappi »

Thanks reddog. You were close. It turned out to be the USB 3.0 cable to my EXTERNAL SATA drive adapter / caddy.

Why clonezilla manifested the problem during the SOURCE drive selection is a mystery but I got my drive copied

Thanks all

Return to “Software & Applications”