Cannot delete files from previous windows partition

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lorem4ster
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot delete files from previous windows partition

Post by lorem4ster »

Hi everyone,

I have just started using Linux Mint. I used to have a Windows 10 installation and I have done a clean Mint installation, however I am unable to delete my old Windows files as the move to trash button is greyed out. I have looked at the permissions and I already have the permissions, I have also tried accessing the folder using root to no avail. Can someone please help me?

Thank you kindly
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Cannot delete files from previous windows partition

Post by pbear »

Hello lorem, welcome to the Forum.

The likely cause of your problem is that Win10 generally shuts down in a semi-hibernation state to support a feature called Fast Startup. As a consequence, Mint can only mount the old Windows partition (the C: "drive") read-only.

There are ways to remove the hibernation file manually, but I'm inclined to suggest you reinstall. This will give you a more efficient partition scheme. You did mean to replace Windows, right? As opposed to install as dual boot.

Don't reinstall right away, let's talk first. Starting with, confirming you want only Mint on this computer.
lorem4ster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lorem4ster »

Thanks for replying pbear,

I would only like to use Mint from now on. I don't think using Windows is even an option anymore as my computer boots straight to Linux without asking.
lorem4ster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lorem4ster »

Maybe there is a way of removing the files without reinstalling, I've just finished installing the programs that I need and doing the settings, however if you believe it is too much of a hassle to remove the hibernation file, I will reinstall.

Thank you again
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Yes, if you want only Mint on this computer, reinstall is the sensible thing to do.

I'll repeat my earlier question: Did you ask the installer to replace Windows or did you select dual boot then change your mind? Also, are you able still to boot Windows? If so, that would make removing the hibernation file somewhat easier.
lorem4ster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lorem4ster »

Yes, I have asked the installer to replace Windows. I am unable to boot to Windows now.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

That's puzzling, so much so I wonder whether I'm on the wrong track. Let's try something relatively simple. Boot a live session of Mint, same thing you used for installation. Open GParted. That's a GUI app (on Menu) similar to Disk Management in Windows. Right-click the Windows partition and see whether GParted is able to delete it. If so, go ahead, leaving the space blank. Report back. There are other ways to do this, but that's the only GUI method which comes to mind.

I'll repeat, though. I think you would be better off reinstalling. Not so much because of the difficulty removing the hibernation file as that your partition table will be sub-optimal even once you recover the space on which Windows is currently squatting. If you decide to accept that advice, I'm going to want you to use GParted to reformat the whole drive before running the installer.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I share the idea to do a new install. The only open question is about user data. They need to get backed up at first.
pbear wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:53 pm I'm going to want you to use GParted to reformat the whole drive before running the installer.
Before doing the effort to boot the live system to look at something, which might exist or might not, you can also launch from the menu the disks utility, which does in principle the same as gparted and you do not need to reboot. The point is: If the installer has been asked to replace Windows, where shall there be a Windows partition with a hibernation file or what else? Might be, that there where 2 (or more) Windows partitions. There is the chance, that they can also get formatted with the disks tool.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

i have no objection to Disks. I place both on Panel at installation as a matter of course. I'm having the OP do this from a live session because it's ordinary best practice to work on a hard drive from "outside" the system. Also, GParted more nearly resembles Disk Management (the Windows partitioning tool), so likely will be more intuitive for the OP. Finally, I'm trying to limit the number of things the OP has to learn to get through installation, so he (or she) won't get frustrated and walk away.
lorem4ster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lorem4ster »

Hello, I have successfully formated the hard disk. What do I choose for the partition table?

Thanks
lorem4ster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lorem4ster »

Can I damage my hard disk in any way doing this?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

lorem4ster wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:57 pm Hello, I have successfully formated the hard disk. What do I choose for the partition table?
Your question is a little bit confusing. A new partition table comes always at first, because - at least by using GParted or Disks - this is a destructive task and the partition have to get newly created and formatted. So it is not clear to me, why you want to create a partition table at this point.
lorem4ster wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:02 pm Can I damage my hard disk in any way doing this?
Do you mean by creating a partition table or formatting: Not physically. But your data will be gone, so make a proper backup at first.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

lorem4ster wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:57 pm Hello, I have successfully formated the hard disk. What do I choose for the partition table?
Can I damage my hard disk in any way doing this?
Taking the second question first, formatting necessarily deleted the old files. This is what Cosmo means by "destructive task." That was the objective, though, so no cause for concern. If you mean physically damaging the disk, no, nothing you do with GParted or Disks will damage the disk.

Now for the first question. You could partition the drive, but that's only necessary if you plan to use the Something Else (manual) installation procedure. If you want to use the default automatic procedure, you're good to go now. The installer will handle everything else.
lorem4ster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lorem4ster »

Hey guys,

It took me 3 re-installations to finally make it work. For some reason it would create a number of partitions with seemingly random sized (1 Mb, 500 Mb, 15 Gb, etc) so I had to use Gparted again to format the disk. Now I'm using Linux on the SDD and I will use the HDD for storing stuff, however I'm not sure why it shows as if I had 3 storage spaces when I only have two?
Screenshot from 2022-05-28 10-19-13.png
Also, my HDD shows as if 50 Gbs were used when I currently have no files on there? Lastly, I cannot seem to be able to get permission to do anything on the hard disk, strangely enough it shows I'm not the owner of this hard disk. Would I need to always open this in root mode to modify files?

Thank you
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-05-28 10-20-14.png
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You have actually 2 partitions, as you expect. The file manager gives in this case a confusing info. You find there besides the physical drives also the virtual drive file system, but that is not a physical drive. You better take Disks (or GParted if you prefer) to view the current state.

Regarding the 50 GB: Linux reserves 5 % of the partition's size for its own usage. The "missing" 50 GB are 5 % from 1 TB (rounded values). Also here the word "free" can be confusing. It means in this case, that those 50 GB are not available as storage room. Available are "only" the other 930 GB.
lorem4ster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lorem4ster »

Hi Cosmo,

I did a workaround I found on the web and now it uses way less space. Do you know if there is any way for my user to become the owner of the hard disk or would I have to use root all the time?

Thank you
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-05-28 10-45-55.png
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You did not tell, which workaround you used, but it looks bad. Although the graphic seems to indicate, that you can use the complete 1 TB size, you have "lost" now 90 GB, nearly double as much then before.

Besides that: Using elevated rights (aka "root") is a very bad idea, if there is no real need. What do you want to achieve?

Giving the user the ownership of the hard drive is also a bad idea. The user's account is only a part (although the major part) of home. And for your account you have (or at least you should have) the ownership.
lorem4ster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lorem4ster »

I need the access to be able to use the hard disk. Currently I can't do anything.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-05-28 11-07-13.png
Last edited by lorem4ster on Sat May 28, 2022 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
lorem4ster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lorem4ster »

How can you tell I lost 90gb?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I misread, of course GB != MB. Sorry for my mistake. :oops:

The other 2 paragraphs in my previous post keep valid.

Return to “Software & Applications”