Opening Chromium in Linux Mint 20.3 - Crashpad_Handler error!?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxG
Level 1
Level 1

Opening Chromium in Linux Mint 20.3 - Crashpad_Handler error!?

Post by linuxG »

Hello guys :D

First post here on these forums so firstly hey and thank you in advanced for any help and suggestions!

So the issue is that recently Chromium has stopped opening in my Linux Mint 20.3 desktop. I have scoured these forums and Google but not yet managed to get the issue fixed. I have tried various fixes including removing chromium and reinstalling it and changing the name of the .config file. I have also tried to open chromium fro the terminal using a new profile and with extensions disabled. Nothing has worked.

When I try to open chromium from the terminal I get the following error: double_fork_and_exec.cc(131)] execv /usr/lib/chromium/chrome_crashpad_handler: Permission deniedcrashpad_handler

I found some information about this error here: https://github.com/OSSystems/meta-browser/pull/552
However after reading through I am not sure to use this to fix it.

I would be happy to give up on chromium and use firefox or brave, however a particular extension I need to use will only function as I need it to using chromium... so I really need to get chromium running asap (yesterday if possible!)

Hope this can be sorted soon! Thanks.

Here is some info about my system which may help:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Opening Chromium in Linux Mint 20.3 - Crashpad_Handler error!?

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

You might try to use the flatpak version of Chromium.

See this tutorial, viewtopic.php?f=42&t=358979 for both Chromium and Ungoogled-Chromium flatpaks.

And this tutorial about flatpaks: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=368501

Regards,

MN

PS: note that, as per the GitHub page you quote, the "crashpad-handler" problem is supposed to have been fixed on September 2021. Do you use an up-to-date version of Chromium ?
Level 1

Post by linuxG »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response. I will check out the flatpak.

The version I have been using in the one is the Linux Mint software repositories, downloaded form the software manager. I would have thought it would be relatively up to date, however maybe not the most recent version of chromium.

Going to have a crack at getting chromium running via a flatpak now. Thanks again.
linuxG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linuxG »

@MikeNovember

Late reply but anyway thank you for your suggestion. It fixed the issue.

Return to “Software & Applications”