RE-Opened Linux kernel versions why not updated

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Clawinus
Level 4
Level 4

RE-Opened Linux kernel versions why not updated

Post by Clawinus »

I experienced over the last couple of weeks an extreme slowdown of processing of Linux Mint 20.3. Opening and closing of individual apps took more than 3 minutes.
Searching this forum, I found the suggestion to update Linux kernel. I did that and the speed has returned to previous values.
Why doesn't the Synaptic Package manager automatically install a newer version of the Linux kernel?
Screenshot from 2022-06-24 15-33-10.png

As this picture shows, I am using now, after the update, kernel version 5.8.0-59
yet, it also says that another newer version is installed :5.15.0-33.
What is the recommendation of the Linux Support, what version of the kernel to use?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux kernel versions why not updated

Post by antikythera »

Either 5.4 LTS which is the default Mint 20.X and Ubuntu 20.04 kernel or 5.15 which is a hardware enablement kernel for devices launched in the last 12-24 months.

Mint Update will not pick a kernel branch for you, they are there to use at your own risk. I don't know how you ended up on 5.8 but I wouldn't bother keeping it.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Clawinus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:44 pmAs this picture shows, I am using now, after the update, kernel version 5.8.0-59
That kernel went end of life in August of last year. Please use a supported kernel.

There is a difference between updating a kernel and upgrading to a newer kernel series. You will automatically get updates for any kernel series you have installed. You must manually do an upgrade to a newer kernel series if you were using the 5.4 LTS kernel.

Linux Mint is set up to automatically boot to the highest installed kernel. Your system should be booting to 5.15.0-33. The fact it is not means either you manually told the system to boot to the 5.8 kernel or there is some other operating system installed on your computer which is in control of grub and you have not yet updated grub on that install. (Or the third option that there is a problem on your install.)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Clawinus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Clawinus »

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I changed the kernel to 5.8.0-59 using the update manager in order to get rid of the processing slowdown. I was told by a Linux Mint Forum submission
to do that. How do I stop Linux Mint from using 5.8.0-95 and get to 5.15.0 -33 for booting? 5.15.0-33 is installed, yet not used. There is no other OS on my PC than Linux Mint 20.3.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

press escape straight after your device manufacturer's BIOS logo disappears. it will bring up a grub menu. choose advanced and press enter, choose kernel 5.15 from the list of options
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Clawinus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:09 pmI was told by a Linux Mint Forum submission to do that.
What does this mean? Were you reading old topics?

You posted this topic Upgrade 19.3 to Mint 20 fails in January of this year. Please provide the output of inxi -Fxxxrz and please explain how you did your Linux Mint 20 install. It sounds like that install did not go as well as it should have if the wrong kernel is being used.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Clawinus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:09 pm 5.15.0-33 is installed, yet not used.
I doubt that. 5.15.0-33 gets offered, but that does not mean, that it is installed. Otherwise it would get loaded.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:39 am
Clawinus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:09 pm 5.15.0-33 is installed, yet not used.
I doubt that. 5.15.0-33 gets offered, but that does not mean, that it is installed. Otherwise it would get loaded.
If you have these in the config it won't load the latest installed. Instead it will boot the last chosen entry, also their screenshot says it is installed but not Active.

Code: Select all

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Clawinus.
Clawinus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:44 pm As this picture shows, I am using now, after the update, kernel version 5.8.0-59
yet, it also says that another newer version is installed :5.15.0-33.
Is the machine a dual boot machine perhaps?
Provided it is, you will have to boot the Linux system, which manages the Grub boot menu. Once this Linux system is running, you have to execute the terminal command sudo update-grub.
If you reboot again and select your Linux Mint system with the kernel 5.15.0-33, then this kernel should be booted.

In case this is not a dual boot machine, please, ignore my post.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Clawinus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:44 pmWhy doesn't the Synaptic Package manager automatically install a newer version of the Linux kernel?
Synaptic Package Manager does not do anything at all unless instructed by the user.
The reason is very simple:
Synaptic Package Manager is an interactive GUI application. It can be used to install and uninstall software packages interactively.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

antikythera wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:45 am If you have these in the config it won't load the latest installed. Instead it will boot the last chosen entry, also their screenshot says it is installed but not Active.

Code: Select all

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
This is correct. But I don't see any information, that this is the case here and this change must be done manually, so the user should know it.

At the end, it doesn't help to speculate, but we must see it:

@Clawinus:
Please post the content of the file /etc/default/grub, use the code tag button </> for this.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

karlchen wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:35 am
Clawinus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:44 pmWhy doesn't the Synaptic Package manager automatically install a newer version of the Linux kernel?
Synaptic Package Manager does not do anything at all unless instructed by the user.
The reason is very simple:
Synaptic Package Manager is an interactive GUI application. It can be used to install and uninstall software packages interactively.
+1. Also, while a kernel update fixed your issue, the same thing may break something in another user's system.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Clawinus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: SOLVED Linux kernel versions why not updated

Post by Clawinus »

I reinstalled Linux Mint 20.3 and now it boots automatically into kernel 5.15.0-33.
Thanks for the help
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: RE-Opened Linux kernel versions why not updated

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Clawinus.

Why did you change the [solved] status to [re-opened]? (Last edited by Clawinus on 26 Jun 2022 19:16)
What has happened during the past 4 hours?

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
Clawinus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Clawinus »

The fun with the kernel :5.15.0-33 did not last long. This morning the system booted again into
5.4. I reinstalled 5.15.0-33, The update manager suggested an update to 5.15.0-33. I installed that, too.
Then I removed the 5.4 kernel and hope that I will boot into the lastest from now.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Clawinus wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:24 pm The fun with the kernel :5.15.0-33 did not last long. This morning the system booted again into
5.4. I reinstalled 5.15.0-33, The update manager suggested an update to 5.15.0-33. I installed that, too.
Then I removed the 5.4 kernel and hope that I will boot into the lastest from now.
By any chance, have you used Grub Customizer?
Clawinus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Clawinus »

No, I haven't. Would't know how and why.
I wait for a couple of days and if no further issued, I will mak this item solved.
Clawinus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Clawinus »

Unfortunately, the issue is still alive.
I do have another PC, a laptop running Linux Mint 20.3. I checked every so often what kernel it was using after my experience with the desktop. It was always
5.15.0-33. But today all of a sudden without any change by me the system reverted to booting to 5.4.14. I had to change the boot process to show the Grub Menu so that I could go back to 5,15.0-33. The Update Manager did not let me delete kernel 5.4. Now on 1.15.0-33, I deleted the old kernel and hope that I will continue booting to the latest version. I am still mystified how the system reverted to the old kernel.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Clawinus wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:56 pmBut today all of a sudden without any change by me the system reverted to booting to 5.4.14.
I do not know what that is. :? There never was a 5.4.14 for Linux Mint. That is a mainline kernel and not one used in Ubuntu/Mint.

All the 5.4 kernels are 5.4.0-xxx with the oldest being 5.4.0-26.
Clawinus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Clawinus »

Sorry, I used the wrong number of the kernel.

Return to “Software & Applications”