Can't install Wine on Linux Mint 20.3, the prerequisite for install is...Wine?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
junglized
Level 1
Level 1

Can't install Wine on Linux Mint 20.3, the prerequisite for install is...Wine?

Post by junglized »

Hello everyone,

maybe someone could help me with this one, please? I updated Wine a few days ago via update manager on Linux Mint 20.3. Yesterday I noticed Wine is gone for some unexplained reason, although default prefix is left intact. I tried to install it again following instructions on Wine's website, step by step, as I did previously with success. When I execute

Code: Select all

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging
I get dependency error

Code: Select all

winehq-staging : Requires: wine-staging (= 7.11~focal-1)
So basically I can't install Wine because it requires Wine to be installed? It doesn't make any sense TBH.

All help greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jungle is massive!
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Can't install Wine on Linux Mint 20.3, the prerequisite for install is...Wine?

Post by spamegg »

Hello junglized
Please share your system info by entering the command inxi -Fxxxmprz into a Terminal and posting its output here.

winehq-staging and wine-staging are two different packages (notice the hq).
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Can't install Wine on Linux Mint 20.3, the prerequisite for install is...Wine?

Post by pbear »

junglized wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:39 am Yesterday I noticed Wine is gone for some unexplained reason, although default prefix is left intact.
Do you have a Timeshift snapshot from before Wine disappeared? Restoring that probably would be the simplest solution.

Then, pay close attention to what Update Manager offers at next update. Perhaps something conflicted with Wine.
Indeed, if you're comfortable with Terminal, upgrading there would be preferable, as you would get warnings.
junglized
Level 1
Level 1

Post by junglized »

pbear wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:41 am
junglized wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:39 am Yesterday I noticed Wine is gone for some unexplained reason, although default prefix is left intact.
Do you have a Timeshift snapshot from before Wine disappeared? Restoring that probably would be the simplest solution.

Then, pay close attention to what Update Manager offers at next update. Perhaps something conflicted with Wine.
Indeed, if you're comfortable with Terminal, upgrading there would be preferable, as you would get warnings.
I did as you suggested and it worked but I wanted to avoid Timeshift on the first place as I made changes in some apps and now I have to go through the process again. I upgraded packages from Terminal without errors, updated Wine is working just fine as it should. I'd like to learn what the error meant though. Any ideas?
Jungle is massive!
junglized
Level 1
Level 1

Post by junglized »

spamegg wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am Hello junglized
Please share your system info by entering the command inxi -Fxxxmprz into a Terminal and posting its output here.

winehq-staging and wine-staging are two different packages (notice the hq).
Thank you for your time. I reverted to the last back-up with Timeshift and did the upgrade from Terminal instead of Update Manager. Wine is up to date and working just fine now.

I noticed the difference between packages, tried to install the one without the "hq" but i couldn't having more error thrown up, so that's why I resorted to TImeshift back-up.
Jungle is massive!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Glad you got it sorted.
junglized wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:11 am I'd like to learn what the error meant though. Any ideas?
Perhaps the most frustrating thing about Wine is that it's sprawling and complex. There are many parts, it's easy for something to get out of whack, and once out of whack almost impossible to fix. In defense of the developers, getting Windows apps to run in Linux is an absurdly difficult problem. Which is to say, no, from the symptoms reported I don't have a hypothesis for what went wrong. Not sure I'd be able to do any better if it were my computer.

Return to “Software & Applications”