Old LM17.? needs newer OpenSSL

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Old LM17.? needs newer OpenSSL

Post by mikecolley »

Hi All:

My old old LM17.? Cinnamon needs Openssl upgrade but Synaptic won't do it. I got the error message:

Python requires a OpenSSL 1.1.1 or newer

when I was trying to install Python 3.10.5 following the directions at youtu.be/YA41VcXde4s&t=305s (I had changed 3.5.0 to 3.10.5)

When I run Openssl I get:

OpenSSL> version
OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014

My System:
I am unable to upgrade this old old live system I started with approximately LM12 Cinnamon (I don't remember the initial LM install number) and successfully upgraded it over the years all the way to LM17, but I am unable to upgrade it to anything beyond LM17. I prefer using this live system on a 256GB flash USB thumb-drive, it works in any computer I plug it into. I've been told this is a ubuntu system, and back then mint used ubuntu as a base, but I assure you this is and always has been a mint Cinnamon system.

And if anyone knows how to upgrade this old old system that refuses LM18 upgrade, I'm all ears, but that is a topic for another different post. I would like to get up to date while still using a LIVE USB 256GB system but not in this thread.

Thanks all and Thanks Clem! This old system is still working GREAT!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Old LM17.? needs newer OpenSSL

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mikecolley.

Seems that for the past 3 years you must have missed the fact that Linux Mint 17.1 reached the end of its supported life at the end of April 2019. Now we are nearing the end of June 2022 already.
End of supported life means:
Linux Mint 17.1 software stopped being maintained (bugs no longer fixed, security vulnerabilities no longer investigated and closed).

Time to switch to a still supported Linux Mint release, me thinks. Either to LM 20.3 right away. Or to LM 21.0 in a few weeks, as soon as it will have been released.

No idea how you managed to upgrade a LM 12 system to 17.1 in-place. Anyway. It does not change the fact that LM 17.1 passed the end of it supported life more than 3 years ago.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Why weren't you able to upgrade to a higher version of Mint?

Was is because your system is a 32-bit?

When requesting help, you should alwaus post the output of the specs of your machine:

Please post the results of this command using a Terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fdrxxz
Copy the results from the terminal.

Click the </> button from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.

Code tags [code][/code] will be inserted. Place your cursor between the code tags and paste the results of the command between the tags. Example: [code]copied results[/code].
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecolley »

Hi JerryF:

Answering your questions, please read carefully, this is TMI (too much information).

Thank You for your reply. You asked why I couldn't upgrade, and if I knew the answer I would have been asking more questions. This is a live system. I installed it using LinuxLiveUSB creator a long long time ago way before version LM17. My linux live mint Cinnamon disk size is about 200GB on a 256GB USB thumb Sandisk Ultra Fit USB3.1 Flash Drive. This flash drive has been working daily for about 3 years now, still working fine. It uses syslinux if I remember right. This is my only personal production system. I would love to upgrade this install to present version but the LM18 upgrade instructions broke my system and it wouldn't boot and working as hard as I could I still couldn't upgrade my live system to LM18. Besides, it works just fine. I keep backups (early backups using Clonezilla and more recent using gparted) so I used a backup to keep LM17 running when I couldn't upgrade to LM18. Couldn't upgrade LM17 but I have upgraded many apps to most recent version (libreoffice 7.3 for example) so I do have the most recent apps. I did find out there is a security vulnerability in OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014 so now I really want to upgrade OpenSSL.

You asked for the output of inxi-Fdrxxz
Please inspect carefully, this is a LM17 system, even though it might look like Ubuntu, it is not Ubuntu, it is LM17:

[mint@10.0.0.8][local] $ inxi -Fdrxxz
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ZBook 17 G2 version: A3009DD10203 Chassis: type: 10
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 2255 version: KBC Version 03.12
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: M70 Ver. 01.20 date: 01/26/2018
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4810MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 22348.2 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz 5: 800.00 MHz 6: 800.00 MHz 7: 800.00 MHz 8: 2801.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK104GLM [Quadro K3100M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau,intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.1hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 3d:00.0
           IF: wlan8 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM driver: e1000e ver: 2.3.2-k port: 6080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth8 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 266.5GB (84.0% used) 1: USB id: /dev/sda model: Ultra_Fit size: 250.5GB serial: 4C530000121105119535-0:0 temp: 0C 
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 16.0GB serial: 4C532000070606120332-0:0 temp: 0C 
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: N/A rev: N/A dev-links: cdrom
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: N/A
Partition: ID: / size: 227G used: 198G (93%) fs: overlayfs 
RAID:      System: supported: N/A
           No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
           Unused Devices: none
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0C mobo: 0.0C gpu: 39.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 17 _Qiana_ - Release amd64 20140530]/ trusty contrib main non-free
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
           deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com rebecca main upstream import
           deb http://extra.linuxmint.com rebecca main
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ trusty partner
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list
           deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb stable main
Info:      Processes: 242 Uptime: 4:42 Memory: 4479.5/31838.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 

[mint@10.0.0.8][local] $ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014
Thank You JerryF for your help!!!
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: applied [code] [/code] tags around commands and their output in order to preserve terminal screen formatting
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I see that you have Mint on the Sandisk 256GB. You say that it is a live system USB. So, you didn't use a separate USB live drive of Mint and then select "Install Mint" from the desktop to create a full install onto the Sandisk 256GB?

If this is so, and your Sandisk 256GB is actually a live USB, then you cannot upgrade it from 17.x to 18.x

Only when you actually do a full install onto the Sandisk can you upgrade it properly.

I find it odd that the inxi output says it's Ubuntu 20.04. Mint 17.x was based on Ubuntu 14.04.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If somebody does things in his/her system, which are nowhere documented, than it is clear, that nobody is able to understand, what has happened. It is a fact, that there did never exist an upgrade path to a newer Mint-version before LM 17. If you say, that you was able to do it, ok, but we cannot know, what has really happened.

But fact is:
#1 LM 17 is out of support. There are no repositories to install (or update) anything.
#2 LM 18 is also out of support. So an upgrade from 17 to 18 (if it would hypothetically exist), is not more possible.
#3 You (seem to) have LM 17.1. There was never an upgrade path from 17.1 to 18 available. Only from 17.1 to 17.3 and then (via terminal) to 18. but see #1 & #2: This game is since a long time over.
#4 You can not (and could never) skip a mayor version for upgrading. So even in the hypothetical case your system would be upgradable, an upgrade to the still supported version LM 19 and LM 20 are not available-
#5 Saying that there is a SSL vulnerability, although your system has tons of security leaks (impossible to count) is ridiculous.
#6 You said (if I have this correctly understood, but I cannot believe it), that your system is a live system and you want to upgrade the live system. Live systems cannot get upgraded.

Solution: Download a current Mint version and install it properly.
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecolley »

Hi Cosmo:

Wow, thanks for all the info. This is a 64Bit system.

#6) check out what I used long ago: https://www.linuxliveusb.com/ A long time ago on a computer since trashed I created the linux mint system using linuxliveusb and the USB (hard drive at the time) worked everywhere I plugged it into. LinuxLiveUSB was originally designed to use FAT32, but I found it would use ext4 so I used ext4 and made it very big, still worked. I have re-arranged the linux partitions and now the live system is in the same partition and file structure as home so it looks like an installed system with home and system together and about 200GB in size. Thinking about live system I prefer it because all the drivers are in it so it works no matter where I plug it into.

#1) and #2), yep, but it works perfectly for me.

#3) The upgrade I tried to LM18 failed so I stuck with what worked LM17 and it has been working for years. I like it a lot, it just works.

#4) I don't remember why but I'm sure I tried and maybe I succeeded LM17.3 but I still failed upgrading to LM18. Long time ago and lots of water under the bridge now way way downstream but I remember I put a valiant effort trying to get LM18 to work.

#6 again) I upgraded several live versions from long ago (probably LM12 or before), this system, this exact system all the way to get to this LM17. BTW, 64 bit all of them. I did upgrade my live version. This system has a very long history.

Thank You Cosmo, Thank You, your input greatly appreciated.

I am thinking all I have to do is remove the old OpenSSL and go to openssl.org and load the most recent version, but I'm kinda hesitant about doing that without some good directions. I'm a power user, not a system programmer.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@#6: And you think, that we, the members of this forum, must be able to see this from our chairs, when you do not tell it? You have a problem in understanding communication. Besides that, it is worthless, Mint never supported this. So ask there.

My numbered list was all but no advises. The only advice in my post is in the last line, also already given by others.

You seem to belong to the people, who like security holes without end "a lot". I know, that those strange fellows exist in this world, but I do not give them support. Plonk.
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecolley »

Hi JerryF:

JerryF said "I find it odd that the inxi output says it's Ubuntu 20.04. Mint 17.x was based on Ubuntu 14.04."

I searched and I couldn't find 20.04 in the inxi output. It is still on my screen and it says:

System:    Host: mint Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ZBook 17 G2 version: A3009DD10203 Chassis: type: 10
This is a paste from my window with inxi in it, the exact output I pasted before, that window is still open.

I am trying to find what you said, can you help me out here?

Thanks!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

mikecolley wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:17 pm Hi JerryF:

JerryF said "I find it odd that the inxi output says it's Ubuntu 20.04. Mint 17.x was based on Ubuntu 14.04."

I searched and I couldn't find 20.04 in the inxi output. It is still on my screen and it says:

This is a paste from my window with inxi in it, the exact output I pasted before, that window is still open.

I am trying to find what you said, can you help me out here?

Thanks!
Sorry, my mistake. I was conversing with someone else and he had Ubuntu 20.04 and it stuck in my head.
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecolley »

Hi JerryF:

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm not the only one here who is human and isn't perfect.

- Mike
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I've never tried upgrading a live system because sooner or later, problems will occur.

This is what I'd suggest:

Using Backup Tool:
  • Back up up all your /home directory, including hidden files
  • Create a backup list of installed programs. This may not backup programs installed outside of using Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager.
Then:
  • Create a live USB (not your Sandisk 256GB) of a supported Mint version, preferably 20.3 since 19 will be end of support April 2023
  • Boot the live USB and do a full install by clicking on "Install Mint" onto the Sandisk 256GB (just as you would onto a hard disk). Your choice of the easier "Erase disk and Install Mint" or use the more andvanced "Something else" option to separate / and /home onto different partitions
  • Using Backup Tool, restore your /home and restore the list of programs.
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecolley »

Hi JerryF:

Your method to create a new system is well heeded. I have thought of that more than once, and then my busy-ness gets overwhelmed and I keep using the LM17 version. The LM17 version just keeps working. Also my LM17 system has many installed programs and tweaks that it would take lots of time to duplicate all those changes. Time is the limiting resource and the LM17 system just keeps working and working good.

I do religiously and weekly keep a mirror image backup using originally Clonezila. Now I use gparted weekly and daily I copy daily files with a simple copy command to a separate USB thumbdrive.

I want to do that, I do, I just have a lack of time. I guess I just have too many projects and want to do too many things. Priorities. On the other hand, if a system is working perfectly, and you are busy, why change it, it works, if it ain't broken, why fix it and if you do fix it you will probably break it in several places.

Your advice is correct however, but I hope it is easier and faster to just replace OpenSSH. I repeat, your advice is correct and I respect and appreciate that.
Last edited by mikecolley on Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mikecolley wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:57 pm#6) check out what I used long ago: https://www.linuxliveusb.com/
I just checked that link and it says, "This project is not maintained anymore." There is a link to Read more. which explains multiple reasons why it is no longer maintained.

Here is a tutorial on this forum for installing to a usb drive: Full Install to USB Drive: Four Options.
mikecolley wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:57 pmI'm a power user, not a system programmer.
Then it would be in your best interests to back up your personal data and do a fresh install of a supported operating system. The kernel you are running stopped receiving support a long time ago. Vulnerabilities in the kernel were recently patched, but only on kernels currently receiving support.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecolley »

Thank You SMG:

I will be reading the 4 ways to install to USB. Thank You for that URL. Hopefully one of the ways will include all the drivers(like the live system) so the system will work on any PC.

You are correct noting LinuxLiveUSB is
multiple reasons why it is no longer maintained.
It does work excellent for me but nobody should be using it for a new install. It has had that message for years and you are right. I do fear upgrading however, how many things do I have to find CDs for and hope they install properly and how many other things will just simply be broken and I have to take time to fix each individual one. I am afraid lots of time will be invested into an LM20.3 upgrade when what I have works so good and correctly with no investment of time. I am aware the day is coming when I am forced to upgrade however and I will now (and later) be reading the 4 ways to install to USB URL that you sent to me. I can see that that time is coming, so I will read about it now and start thinking about it.

BTW, my PC has no hard drive, no Windows. It was cheaper that way on ebay and I didn't need nor want it.

Thank You SMG and Thank You Clem for the wonderful Linux Mint Cinnamon that just keeps on working...and working...and....
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mikecolley wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:09 pm...when what I have works so good and correctly ...
Everything does not appear to be working correctly. The data you posted indicates the graphics drivers are not installed properly on your system.
Graphics:
Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GK104GLM [Quadro K3100M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau,intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.1hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecolley »

Hi SMG:

Thanks for the information.

Two monitors, the laptop monitor(1920x1080) and the external LG(1920x1080) work flawlessly. So even if there is a driver problem I would question fixing what is working correctly for fear of breaking something.

I do have a live backup duplicate USB that I use for trying new installs before I commit to the daily use USB, so if something breaks on the install it doesn't break the daily use USB. Do you see a use for me trying to fix the driver? Do you have a driver you recommend because I might try to fix it even though it isn't displaying any symptoms?

Thanks!
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Just to throw a further spanner/suggestion/curveball into the mix here, if you want a set it and forget it distribution to run as your production PC but are clearly only concerned about patching security issues rather than running the latest and greatest, why not install LMDE5? That will not need an upgrade for 10 years (okay Mint support will end for Cinnamon parts but Debian security updates will continue until 2032.

Currently LMDE5 uses kernel 5.10 LTS and works on my hardware from 2014 and 2018. Three completely different types of processor, one Intel and two AMD which are in my signature. Ignore one says Mint 20.3 because that was a temporary thing, it's now back running LMDE5 again, I will update it at a later date since I'm using the same monitor and don't have a KVM hooked up.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mikecolley wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:41 pmTwo monitors, the laptop monitor(1920x1080) and the external LG(1920x1080) work flawlessly. So even if there is a driver problem I would question fixing what is wroking correctly for fear of breaking something.
You and I have a very different definition of working "flawlessly".
mikecolley wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:41 pmDo you see a use for me trying to fix the driver? Do you have a driver you recommend because I might try to fix it even though it isn't displaying any symptoms?
The drivers should load automatically from the kernel. I do not know what you did to your install that they are not doing what they should be doing. However, you have a very convoluted set up where you piecemeal patched certain programs so there is no way for me to guess what you might have done. There have been quite a few underlying system changes in both the base Ubuntu and in Linux Mint since the days of LM17 (Ubuntu 16.04). There's no way for me to know how you adding newer programs to an old operating system might have affected your install.
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecolley »

Hi antikythera

That is wonderful information, Thank You I will look into that.

- Mike

Return to “Software & Applications”