Host name not resolved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Heffgé
Level 1
Level 1

Host name not resolved

Post by Heffgé »

Hi,

Firstly I have to say I'm French, nobody 's perfect, so be indulgent with my poor english.

I'm running Linux Mint 20.3 with Cinnamon on a Asus-X401U laptop.

I encounter the following issue. I can't access my other box, which run Windows 7, by its host name.I have to use it's IP address. This occurs with commands like mount.cifs or caja but also with a trivial ping. None of the topics I looked at gave me the clue but il seems I pointed the reason why.

In my Windows box there are two network adpators, each one with its own IP address into different IP subnets. One is the physical card, the other is a virtual adaptor created by Virtual Box . If the virual adpaptor is disabled nmblookup shows only one IP address and ping host name works. So do other commands using host name as target. If I enable this adaptor nmblookup shows the two IP addresses and anything doesn't work anymore.

Hopping having been clear enough I thank you in advance for yours answers.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”