[SOLVED] Firefox freezes/hangs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bmbguy
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Firefox freezes/hangs

Post by bmbguy »

SMG wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:32 pm When I ran it the first time, I received a notice there was a newer version of mozregression available. After attempt 1 closed unexpectedly on me, I updated the tool for the subsequent attempts.
The GUI tool has a little note at the bottom that says there is a new version available too, so I went to the site to see what the changes were - changes for 22.04, etc. I figured it didn't matter much for my use at this point, so I haven't updated yet. As long as it gets me what I want and gets it running...I figured that would still work.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SMG wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:03 pmDo you have an extension icon (shaped like a jigsaw puzzle piece) which can not be removed in the upper right (options are greyed out)? This is supposed to be a nightly and not a beta.
Apparently, nightly is considered pre-alpha which I didn't realize when doing the regression testing. (Hopefully, that means I can get rid of the "puzzle piece" when it's officially released. It's messing up my workflow. :lol: )

The first build with the fix crashed on me (core-dumped). The last build before the one with the fix did freeze (as expected).

I'm currently testing 20221123094429. One person, in one of the bugs consolidated with "our" bug, said it fixed their issue and number-wise it seems like it should also contain the fix. I will know tomorrow morning whether or not it passes.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
bmbguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bmbguy »

SMG wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:09 pm I'm currently testing 20221123094429. One person, in one of the bugs consolidated with "our" bug, said it fixed their issue and number-wise it seems like it should also contain the fix. I will know tomorrow morning whether or not it passes.
I've been running 20221123094429 since Wed. morning without any issues (well, other than the puzzle piece that's getting in your way :lol: ). No crashes, no freezes. It seems that the patch/fix has made a big difference in the freeze issue, since this is the first version built after May 4th that I've been able to run for more than a few hours.

I thought I'd report back to Bugzilla in a day or two, but wasn't sure where to report results, since we've been 'shut out' of that original bug. I haven't looked at any of the others except for that 1802229 bug, where you reported your crash.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bmbguy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:06 pm
SMG wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:09 pm I'm currently testing 20221123094429. One person, in one of the bugs consolidated with "our" bug, said it fixed their issue and number-wise it seems like it should also contain the fix. I will know tomorrow morning whether or not it passes.
I've been running 20221123094429 since Wed. morning without any issues (well, other than the puzzle piece that's getting in your way :lol: ). No crashes, no freezes. It seems that the patch/fix has made a big difference in the freeze issue, since this is the first version built after May 4th that I've been able to run for more than a few hours.
I'm going to correct my statement because while I am running the first build with the fix, I thought I started the build that the other person said worked for them.

Build 20221123213526 was the build the other person tried and said worked and is the one I thought I started running yesterday morning.

Apparently when I was updating mozregression (a second update came through while I was testing the last build without the fix), I didn't start the build I thought I did. This is the same build which crashed for me the first time I tried it. I didn't realize that until I saw you post the same number. I was wondering why you were testing the other build. :lol:

I've had some builds freeze at the 1.5 day mark, so I've been using 2 full days without a freeze as the success criteria. If you were normally freezing within a few hours, then it sounds like the fix is a success for you.

I don't know what criteria/feedback they might want before uplifting the patch. I did see Jeff DeFouw post in the new bug there is an Xorg problematic code update which might be related to the problem some of them are seeing on Arch while running the nightly with the fix.
bmbguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bmbguy »

SMG wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:57 pm Build 20221123213526 was the build the other person tried and said worked and is the one I thought I started running yesterday morning.
Oh, I think I'd seen that bug report when they went around and closed them all (they were closing bugs I hadn't seen). Note that it can't be commented on, either. That's a bizarre way to run your system - they close all the bugs before they can even get feedback on possible fixes.

That build he's running is probably the second 'nightly' from the 23rd, whereas the one we're running is the first from that day and the first listed as containing the fix.
I've had some builds freeze at the 1.5 day mark, so I've been using 2 full days without a freeze as the success criteria. If you were normally freezing within a few hours, then it sounds like the fix is a success for you.
When we were doing the regression testing, I was giving the 'good' ones three days before switching builds, but all the 'bad' ones failed in much less than a day. So, yes, I think the patch has made a big difference.
I did see Jeff DeFouw post in the new bug there is an Xorg problematic code update which might be related to the problem some of them are seeing on Arch while running the nightly with the fix.
I saw that too, and it didn't sound like the same problem to me.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Status Update for Firefox Bug 1781167 - SW-WR/XFCE/Intel: Firefox window randomly freeze.

The patch has been uplifted to the current Firefox 108 beta. Firefox 108 is marked as "fixed" for this bug. Release date for Firefox 108 is December 13th. It should be appearing in the respective repos some time after that date.

For those using Firefox 102 ESR: It's next release, 102.6, is tracking with Firefox 108 (if I am reading the Mozilla info correctly). I would presume that means it will also get the patch, but the bug report has not yet been specifically updated to indicate that to be true.

I completed my testing criteria of 2 full days with no freezes approximately 1.5 days ago and my Firefox continues to be stable with this nightly build. :D

For anyone still have freeze issues after they have a build with the patch, please see Firefox Bug 1802229: Firefox window randomly freezes. It seems a few people running Arch Linux are still seeing an issue with the patched version.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SMG wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:37 pmFor those using Firefox 102 ESR: It's next release, 102.6, is tracking with Firefox 108 (if I am reading the Mozilla info correctly). I would presume that means it will also get the patch, but the bug report has not yet been specifically updated to indicate that to be true.
The bug report has been updated and Firefox 102.6 ESR will have the patch in it.
birdie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by birdie »

SMG wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:59 pm
SMG wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:37 pmFor those using Firefox 102 ESR: It's next release, 102.6, is tracking with Firefox 108 (if I am reading the Mozilla info correctly). I would presume that means it will also get the patch, but the bug report has not yet been specifically updated to indicate that to be true.
The bug report has been updated and Firefox 102.6 ESR will have the patch in it.
I guess the topic title could use [SOLVED] in it.

Cheers.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

birdie wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:51 amI guess the topic title could use [SOLVED] in it.
Currently, one has to use a beta version or an alpha-stage nightly build in order to not have freezes. I thought it better to wait until the official release to mark the topic solved.

The official release versions with the patch will not be released by Mozilla for another 10 days and it will be a few more days after that before the patched versions are available in all the repos.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox freezes/hangs

Post by SMG »

Firefox 108.0 came through to Update Manager for me on my LM20.3 install today. I am not usually one of the first ones to see Firefox updates so I'm assuming others have it available to them as well.

Topic marked [SOLVED].
bmbguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bmbguy »

SMG wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:27 pm Firefox 108.0 came through to Update Manager for me on my LM20.3 install today.
Thanks for the heads-up, SMG. I didn't expect to find it out there this soon.
colinp1234
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colinp1234 »

Awesome news, even though I was rarely getting any freeze ups since 106 and none in 107 anyway. I just updated to 108 and hopefully nothing is broke. Time will tell. :lol:
Tiger855
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tiger855 »

I've been using Mint Cinnamon for about a week now & have found that Firefox was freezing up, so looking here found this thread.
It just froze today, I'm using Firefox 108 on Linux Mint 21 Vanessa / Cinnamon, so it doesn't look like it's fixed! :(
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Tiger855 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:05 pm I've been using Mint Cinnamon for about a week now & have found that Firefox was freezing up, so looking here found this thread.
It just froze today, I'm using Firefox 108 on Linux Mint 21 Vanessa / Cinnamon, so it doesn't look like it's fixed! :(
Yes, this specific issue is fixed. The issue in this topic was about a specific bug introduced in Firefox 102. The patch was included in Firefox 108. I personally put in many, many, many hours is troubleshooting and identifying the bug as well as testing the patch.

If you have not done so already, please create a new topic and make sure to provide the information requested in How to get help. Describe what websites you are using and what exactly happens when Firefox freezes and confirm whether or not you are able to switch to other applications. There is an existing Firefox bug still open, but that apparently has a different root cause than the one described in this topic.
Voltron
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Voltron »

As a user of Linux Mint and other Linux distributions, I want to add that I, too, have been dealing with this very frustrating issue, going back to around Firefox version 98 or 99 or 102. Today, I just installed Firefox 108 and--so far--my Firefox freezing issues have been fixed--THANKFULLY!!! This has been an incredibly frustrating issue, one I have not experienced before on Linux. It was driving me crazy, because it was difficult to nail down the exact cause and difficult to reproduce. I want to send a BIG THANK YOU to all involved in chasing down this nasty bug and for this, so far, solution! THANK YOU!!!
Karkorst
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Karkorst »

I'm still having issues after updating to v108 and I have had them since v102. Now I can continue doing stuff on the same page if the issue happens (continue to watch a video or scroll the page) but if I want to switch tabs or go to another site in the same tab it's just blank until I minimize and maximize the window. Also any of the history, bookmarks or menu buttons don't work (the menu visually opened in versions previous to 108). I can click the home button but need to minimize the window for it to update the screen like before v108. The forward and back buttons don't work but I can go forward and back using the mouse buttons. If I make the firefox window smaller some of the tabs are on top of each other. So all in all some stuff is fixed but other things are broken in a different way in v108. :(

Btw @SMG I read what you wrote before and do you think this is a different issue now?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Karkorst wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:11 pmBtw @SMG I read what you wrote before and do you think this is a different issue now?
Yes, that sounds like a different issue. Some of what you describe was not a symptom anyone else was having.

The current open Firefox bug is Bug 1802229 - KDE/X11/Nvidia/Arch Linux: Firefox rendering randomly freezes when switching tabs (for ~5 months now), but that does not have the symptoms you describe.

The fact your Firefox window is not resizing properly (tabs on top of each other) makes me wonder if you have a different root issue. I suggest you open a new topic and provide your system information (inxi -Fxxxrz). Please also make sure to test Firefox with a default profile to see if the problems are still there.
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

OP here- still having occasional FF freezes as originally reported, not as frequently as before. Dell Optiplex 5060, Mate 20.3, FF 108.0.1. Just had another one today. Should this thread be re-opened?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Slowpoke47 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:53 pm OP here- still having occasional FF freezes as originally reported, not as frequently as before. Dell Optiplex 5060, Mate 20.3, FF 108.0.1. Just had another one today. Should this thread be re-opened?
I have not had any issues since FF108 so it would seem there may be another issue if you are still having problems. Karkorst also indicated they were having issues. The only remaining issue of which I am aware relates to Nvidia graphics on Arch installs.

We will have to determine what might be the common denominator this time and it would be best to do that in a new topic. Please provide your current inxi info and list which websites seem to be problematic. This is a different computer than the one in your original post.
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Thanks, I'll start a new thread, not really much to go on, though.

Return to “Software & Applications”