Nemo add on for MD5 or SHA hash [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Nemo add on for MD5 or SHA hash [SOLVED]

Post by Petermint »

Is there a Nemo extension to list SHA1 or a similar hash for files?

I looked at what seems to be the official list on Git. The image file attributes extension looks the closest to what I want. Just substitute SHA1 hash. Unfortunately it is written in a language I do not know.

I am hoping someone created something similar for hashes. Learning Python would be difficult as it is not like any of the other languages I know. The compile process is also foreign. If there is nothing out there, I will continue developing with C and that awful GTK.

Update:
Marking this as solved. I found Czkawka written in Rust. Rust is a language of more interest to me. Czkawka has most of the functionality I need and is way faster then Python. If I have to code something in a new language, it will be Rust not Python.

Czkawka is so fast that it finishes almost before it starts. :shock: Multithreaded. Limited only by SSD speed.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Nemo add on for MD5 or SHA hash [SOLVED]

Post by Cosmo. »

Another possibility would have been nemo-gtkhash.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Thank you for the nemo-gtkhash suggestion. I did not find it when searching for nemo hash.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

It is still missing a tool to list hashes in a folder and to display it in a text
nb : in win, as soon as 2007 I ve had a tool that hashed all files, calculated a sum for a folder and created a file with this sum as file name in the folder
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Menard wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:03 am nb : in win, as soon as 2007 I ve had a tool that hashed all files, calculated a sum for a folder and created a file with this sum as file name in the folder
Do you perhaps mean md5summer? This is one of the few things, which I miss in Linux.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:41 am
Menard wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:03 am nb : in win, as soon as 2007 I ve had a tool that hashed all files, calculated a sum for a folder and created a file with this sum as file name in the folder
Do you perhaps mean md5summer? This is one of the few things, which I miss in Linux.
Few missing in Linux :? I mean it s difficult because if you areready to spend days for each thing you miss, you can find solutions and then consider it is "few" but if you are not in that case, it is not really "few" :?
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

For me - and regarding this point I can only speak for myself - it are really only a few. About a handful.

Return to “Software & Applications”