<SOLVED> Zoom loaded but not working if...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

<SOLVED> Zoom loaded but not working if...

Post by RollyShed »

One of our Shed members wanted Zoom on one of the loan laptops, a Toshiba Tecra M10. I installed it from the Software Manager and put an icon on the desktop.

Double click on that and nothing. After a few tries he says take it home I'll pick it up next Saturday.

So what have I got in my folder on my Desktop computer at home? The Deb Zoom_amd version downloaded from Zoom a few months ago. OK, Dukto (computer to computer file transfer) it across to the laptop, delete the installed Zoom on the laptop, install the deb version just copied across and.... Installed. An icon placed on the desktop, double click and there it is, going, perfectly.

Ooh !!!

Maybe to make the story more interesting(?), the laptop he had had brought in this morning, he'd broken the screen by pressing it too hard when closing it. There was another one under the bench with a dud screen driver chip. Dead because it wouldn't even light up a plugged in screen. One of our other members removed the broken screen and installed the good screen on the broken screen laptop. So back to 7 out of the 8 donated laptops going again.

The one I put Zoom on was another spare Toshiba Tecra and I'd transferred the HD across to from the broken screen one.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Zoom loaded but not working if...

Post by wallyUSA »

This was hard for me to follow. Are you having a problem that you need advice on? If so, you may need to give details regarding the issue.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

wallyUSA wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:16 pm This was hard for me to follow. Are you having a problem that you need advice on? If so, you may need to give details regarding the issue.
Sorry, I thought it might make an interesting story about what works and what doesn't work.

Basically, the repository, via Software Manager, ZOOM version doesn't work and a deb version downloaded from ZOOM's website does work.

Here is the essential part of the story -

The Deb Zoom_amd version downloaded from Zoom a few months ago.... delete the installed Zoom on the laptop, install the deb version just copied across... An icon placed on the desktop, double click and there it is, going, perfectly.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

I was going to say I have used the web version for two years with no issues. Keep it current as there are frequent updates !
If you have no Zoom issues perhaps you can mark this post SOLVED (see my sig below).
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4

Return to “Software & Applications”