ham radio support

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Re: ham radio support

Post by a_hippie »

bob_22 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:30 pm I had to do A LOT of Googling to get some of these to work. It would be real nice to have a ham radio oriented distro that actually works! If I had the knowledge to respin my own distro with all my favorite ham and monitor software I would.
Bob, great to see your post this PM. I am many days behind and just now catching up to my email notifications.

We DO need a better mouse trap as far as our ham radio programs. I have thought about trying to form a group of interested and technically able people to not create a distribution, but to build a tool that would support debian based distributions by providing a ham specific repository that users could add. That way if you run MX, Mint, Debian, or Ubuntu, you would just add the repo and the update tool will fetch recent programs instead of the years out of date programs.

I don't want to step on anyones toes, I know the debian-ham guys keep busy packaging programs, but they are sort of hog-tied (constrained) by debian rules of release.

Anyway Bob, I hope you DO contact the debian hams group as I am sure they could use your help.

Also, great work getting all the software running!

Jaye
--
Wishing you well
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

citfta wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:06 am I found this thread that might be of interest to some of you. I have not had time to check this out myself, but it appears there is an OS just for Ham use. For some reason the link doesn't want to work. But go to eHam.net and look in the forum for the section on computers and software. There is a thread there about Andy's Ham radio Linux OS.
That release is pretty old. There was another one out there too that was Arch based. They were really cool and ran off a cdrom.

Jaye
--
Wishing you well
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it would seem that "Andy's Ham Radio for Linux" is based on Ubuntu 18.04.4. . .
https://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/

he hasn't shifted it to an later version of Xubuntu Linux.
:)

NB: is anyone up to, the Task, of moving these Tools, over to an Linuxmint 21x series :?:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
citfta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by citfta »

Here'a another source of Ham Radio software I just found out about:

https://www.debian.org/blends/hamradio/
citfta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by citfta »

And for those of you into SDR here is a source for an OS just for that:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dragonos-focal/
ameliaava
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ameliaava »

Do ham radio operators use Mint in their shacks? Where can you get assistance? IRC, the forums, or this one?

I switched back to Mint from Ubuntu because there were so many faulty packages and no other hams using Ubuntu to ask for help. Using the official IRC channels, I also had no luck finding any assistance or live people. Perhaps there are better distributions for the great majority of hams.

I continue to use (and appreciate) debian variations because I adore the debian package system. I'm worried that the latest release of Mint, which will shortly include all of Ubuntu's software, will once again damage my reliable shack apps, like fldigi, hamlibs, js8call, and xaster, to mention a few. The main issue with the flawed version is the loss of hamlibs.
tkocou
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tkocou »

For those wishing to use Linux Mint with Ham Radio programs, have a look at the videos posted on my channel at Odysee.com.

https://odysee.com/@AmateurRadioAndLinux:f

The programs work with both MATE and Cinnamon desktops.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
josweet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by josweet »

Im also a licensed HAM user here in the UK.
My daily PC is mint & just like everyone else, any help from anyone is near impossible, even in windows.
To make my life easier, i bought a cheap broken laptop from FB marketplace, fixed what was required and installed Win10. I now use this only for radio
work. I know this isnt the answer, but it just made life so much easier for myself.
My next endeavour is to get an RTL-SDR working in Mint. Again no local help as per usual, so have to go it alone.
I guess my local Ham community assume the way of the "Mandalorian" with the lack of help ""This is the way""
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

I can't tell you how many phone calls I've received from hams trying to use M$ with digital.

I am here and am absolutely willing to assist you getting up and running in Mint, or any other linux. I AM GOOD ON QRZ.

j
--
Wishing you well
visseroth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by visseroth »

I've been using Linux Mint for years for ham radio, daily use, work, virtual machines, all kinds of stuff.

As for chirp, the repo is WAY out of date and usually is.
I know there is a way to add it so it auto updates when a update is released but I don't know how to do it so I manually install it.

You can find the link to chirp here.....
https://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_ ... -20221217/

But you can do this to install it and update it...

wget https://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_ ... 17.flatpak
sudo flatpak install chirp-daily-20221217.flatpak

As for installing hamlib, fldigi and other applications here are some notes I keep on hand. They aren't perfect and somewhat redundant but better redundant than to not have the notes at all......

hamlib:
sudo apt-get install build-essential libfltk-cairo1.3 libfltk-forms1.3 libfltk1.3-compat-headers libfltk1.3-dev libpng-dev libpng-tools libsamplerate0-dev portaudio19-dev libsndfile1-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libudev-dev
cd Downloads
wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib ... 3.3.tar.gz
tar -zxvf hamlib-3.3.tar.gz
cd hamlib-3.3
./configure --enable-native
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

fldigi:
Download from.... https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/fldigi/
./configure --enable-optimizations=native
make
make check
sudo make install
sudo apt-get install libsamplerate0-dev libsamplerate0 libportaudio2 libjack0 portaudio19-dev libfltk1.3 libfltk1.3-dev libpng12-0 libpng12-dev libpulse-dev pavucontrol libfltk-forms1.3 libfltk1.3-compat-headers libfltk1.3-dev libpng-dev libpng-tools libsamplerate0-dev portaudio19-dev libsndfile1-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libudev-dev

Direwolf:
https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf
sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev
make
sude make install

If you get this error when compiling Direwolf then you missed the libasound-dev step:

audio.c:80:28: fatal error: alsa/asoundlib.h: No such file or directory
#include <alsa/asoundlib.h>

Yeasu Radio needs to use hamlib with direwolf with the following PTT command:
PTT RIG 122 /dev/ttyUSB0

YAAC Install:
For those using the Raspberry Pi who are new to Linux and the Pi, here are some simplified directions. Text in this font are literal text to be typed into the Pi.

https://www.ka2ddo.org/
Download the YAAC.zip file to your Pi.
apt-get install openjdk-8-jre librxtx-java unzip to install the other software modules that YAAC needs as prerequisites.
exit from the superuser shell.
mkdir YAAC
cd YAAC
unzip ../Downloads/YAAC.zip

At this point, YAAC is installed and ready to run. Use the command
java -jar YAAC.jar
wb4alm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wb4alm »

I am Bill (WB4ALM) and I have been licensed for many years and was interested in Amateur Radio for quite a few years prior to being able to get licensed (Morse code was a major stumbling block because of the way my head appears to process "constant frequency" type sounds...)

Yes, it would be nice if we could go to "one place" to get assistance with software applications and some of the newer rigs, but that will probably never happen - there are two many different aspects of Ham Radio... Lots of people start to provide distribution support for one or more Ham Applications and then grow tired of the work it takes to keep those packages updated. The other issue is that there are too many distribution systems available for most application designers to become knowledgeable in more than one or two of them.

Now adding to that, every "version" of LINUX has its own way of using the standard Linux library directories. There have been attempts to standardize the usage, but not everybody follows the agreed upon "standards". Sometimes the software I install in a Linux system wants to be in "/usr/bin" and other times in "usr/local/bin". Now the software will run from either place, but those kinds of differences can sometimes make it difficult to resolve issues.

Under windows, well... it depends on what version of Windows and if the software is 32-bit or 64-bit, and under what version of Windows the software was originally created... Frequently I find that I must install Windows application software in its own directory on the C-drive, just because it needs to update its own configuration files. (Something no longer allowed inside the normal "application program directories" because of the destruction being caused by "HACKERS")

Program Authors also have a hard time keeping their applications running, because of the frequent changes to the internals of some Operation Systems - especially when an application needs to communicate with external devices like our radios and test equipment.

Up until just recently my primary Linux system was UBUNTU based, which I had been using for the past 16 years. Recent changes by Ubuntu's "staff", along with a few oversights, caused a major loss to me when I attempted an upgrade from UBUNTU 20.04 to 22.04.1

I have spent several months trying to recover lost files that were totally destroyed during the upgrade - yes, even the backup files, which were on a separate unmounted drive, were totally wiped out. A major loss to me was the loss of about 25 years worth of self-written software for me, my family, and my friends...

I was never able to get a reliable Ubuntu 22.04.1 system running even after multiple clean reinstalls of UBUNTU 22.04.1 -- and yet a clean install of LINUX MINT 21 worked perfectly the first time, and has been running reliably since mid-December 2022...

I, for one, happen to prefer Amateur Radio Digital communications and have found that it is best to contact the author(s) of individual programs when I need help.

One of the best-supported digital packages is FLDIGI and all of its "add-ons". The author (Dave, W1HKJ) and a very good group of volunteers have done an excellent job of keeping the packages updated and working. I have often used FLRIG to control my transceiver, even when operating in non-digital modes, and out-of-band support of other Communication services.

One of my EMCOM sidelines means that I have to run a windows based system for the required software. Every time WINDOWS does an update, I have to fix (and re-fix) the sound levels - it seems that Microsoft delights in changing everything that is "audio-based" to what they "think" are the best settings... ...and there is no way to say "keep your hands off my hardware, software and blinking lights."

With the sole exception of Video and Audio conferences (which are allowed to use the "default" Windows Sound System settings), I do --NOT-- use any of the windows supplied audio systems; all audio passed to and from my rig and the various software applications is via my SignalLink USB sound card interface, or via manufacture supplied USB connections. It is a real irritant that Microsoft constantly changes the volume settings and default devices settings every time they do any form of update processing.

I do create some Windows/Linux software for my own use, and I use a free "scripting" language (which is interpreted) called "ooRexx" that is distributed via sourceforge.net and supported by the Rexx Language Association (rexxla.org). The nice part is that my software will run under Windows, Linux, and many other operating systems without change.

While this version of REXX (ooRexx) supports programming in an "Object Oriented" fashion it also supports the "classic" or procedural style of programming (which is what I use). Both programming styles can be used in the same program, which is great when you want to use a "newer" function in an older program... And better yet, is that the language can interface with many other languages such as JAVA, and that some text editors and other applications use Rexx as an internal scripting langage for user-created macros.

As an FYI, The REXXLA group has just released the long-awaited version 5.0 of the language which can be downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/oorexx/files/ Version 5.0 of ooRexx comes with extensive documentation and can be easily learned by "non-programmers". (I know, I have taught it to teenagers aged 13 to 21.)

However, until such time as standardization actually occurs across operatings systems and platforms, I guess "google" or "bing" and all of the other Internet search machines would be your best bet to find support for the mode and equipment that you prefer to use. Don't forget that there are many email forums and Blogs that will (eventually) connect you with folks that have the same interests as you do....

In the meantime, for us folks that use Linux Mint, there is this forumn!
mrx79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrx79 »

Hi,
just wanted to say hallo to the fellow hams.
I'am also using Linux Mint in my shack (cqrlog and wsjtx for FT8 mainly)
And have a debian running on my ham radio raspberry pi4.

Best regards
Malte / DG1FBN
Cypher71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cypher71 »

KF7VZT here. I love HRD and you can install the last free version 5-24 or something like that and use wine. Everything works except the log book. If you want to use a new version of the program (which I have) it will install but at the auth screen it hangs so im hoping they will fix that but you do get rig control. Also have chirp, icom2200 2m programming software, echolink and my sdr-iq. It all works great. But itd be a lot easier if you want full use of hrd to use virtual box with a virtual win 10 install. But I can now finally get rid of Windows so im happy :)
xorgate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xorgate »

rodley20
Level 1
Level 1

USB sound card

Post by rodley20 »

Hi All,
I have been working for 1 1/2 weeks trying to get ham apps (wsjtx,js8call, fldigi,etc) to work on a USB soundcard on
my laptop. aplay -l shows this:

Code: Select all

rodm@d9010:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 3: Set [C-Media USB Headphone Set], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
I disable pulseaudio, and use alsamixer to select the C-media card, then I do sudo alsactl store.
What specific cli command should I use to aplay a .wav file? I think I have tried all permutations of -D and --device,
and the sound always comes out on my default audio device.
HELP! I am at my wits end!
TIA, Rod KM6SN (Linux user for 20 yrs)
Last edited by SMG on Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tags to the code output to retain its formatting.
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

Hi Rod,

First, no need at all to disable pulse. They get along just fine.

You don't need to use alsa to save settings. I do use alsamixer to control my output level to my radio.

On fldigi use PORT AUDIO, it should be easy peesy to set the card in the config file using the drop down menu.

Likewise, once you have fldigi playing nice, close it to release the sound card, then do the same with js8call etc.

I use XFCE and if I want to simply test a sound card, it's easy to click on the volume tab, then hover over and click which card to want for output. Likewise input.

The only issue I have is on first boot, the system ALWAYS selects my USB audio (my hf radio) and I have to set it back to my built in sound card (intel on old thinkpad.)

Post back if you have issues setting up fldigi to use the usb card.

Jaye ke6sls
--
Wishing you well
mccoy31
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mccoy31 »

KD0POP here. I have not been active on the air for about 4 years now. I am working on getting my shack re-established. I use Linux Mint on all of my personal PCs. My current rig is a Yaesu FT-950. I am hoping to CAT software and some CW software working with it. Any suggestions?
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

Hi Dan,

My suggestion is open synaptic and let it update, then click on Amateur radio (or Ham radio) on the left. That will show all the software available from the repos.

I use hamlibs to control my various radios.

Have fun getting active again!

Jaye
--
Wishing you well
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

This link for Linux and Amateur Radio
https://lhspodcast.info/
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1

Return to “Software & Applications”