cannot find the sddm.conf file for the SDDM display manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
randomness
Level 1
Level 1

cannot find the sddm.conf file for the SDDM display manager

Post by randomness »

I installed the display manager recently because it looked a lot more customizable than Light DM, but in order to apply a new theme i have to edit the sddm.conf file which i cannot find in any of the directories shown in tutorials, in fact i cannot find it on my system at all.
I thought of making it myself but i am afraid that i am gonna break the display manager and maybe get locked out of my installation :( .

Thanks for listening :!:.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
| Intel core i5-5300U | Intel HD Graphics 5500 | Linux Mint 21 | cinnamon 5.4.10 DM | 5.15.0-46-generic kernel |
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: cannot find the sddm.conf file for the SDDM display manager

Post by SMG »

randomness wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:12 pm I installed the display manager recently because it looked a lot more customizable than Light DM
Welcome to the forum, randomness.

Linux Mint only comes with and is supported when using LightDM. What Linux Mint version and desktop environment did you install that you changed the display manager?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
randomness
Level 1
Level 1

Post by randomness »

very sorry for the late response.
i am using LM 20.3 with cinnamon as the desktop environment.
| Intel core i5-5300U | Intel HD Graphics 5500 | Linux Mint 21 | cinnamon 5.4.10 DM | 5.15.0-46-generic kernel |
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

I am not familiar with SDDM and do not know how switching out LightDM for SDDM might affect your system.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas for you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
randomness
Level 1
Level 1

Post by randomness »

i switched out light DM already it didn't affect my system at all, i am just afraid of making the conf file.
i think the best way to know is trying inside a VM. thanks for responding.

Return to “Software & Applications”