Webmin issues installing in mint 21

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sgb77
Level 1
Level 1

Webmin issues installing in mint 21

Post by sgb77 »

Hi all,

I just installed a fresh copy of mint 21, I tried installing the latest version of webmin and I get the follwoing message.

$ sudo dpkg --install ~/Downloads/webmin_1.999_all.deb
Selecting previously unselected package webmin.
(Reading database ... 342681 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../Downloads/webmin_1.999_all.deb ...
Unpacking webmin (1.999) ...
Setting up webmin (1.999) ...
W: Webmin server cannot be restarted. It is advised to restart it manually
by running "/etc/webmin/restart-by-force-kill" command when upgrade process is finished
grep: /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf: No such file or directory

The command suggested in the error message does not exists.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sqwuade
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Webmin issues installing in mint 21

Post by sqwuade »

I'm having similar issues. I ran the new upgrade tool - "mintupgrade" that was just released today. Webmin didn't survive which wasn't too unexpected. I've tried to reinstall it but no luck. I also noticed that the /etc/webmin/ directory is almost empty, the only file in it is one called uninstall.sh.
uninstall.sh.jpg
uninstall.sh.jpg (13.21 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sqwuade wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:27 am I ran the new upgrade tool - "mintupgrade" that was just released today.
The new upgrade tool has not been officially released. Please watch the Linux Mint Blog for an official release notice.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

SMG wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:02 pm The new upgrade tool has not been officially released. Please watch the Linux Mint Blog for an official release notice.
In the past I never knew of that Linux Mint Blog. The release is published. The upgrade tool is in the repository now.

However, this is always the same game:
There are very careful people. In traffic, they slow down before a green light because it could turn red.
And there are risk-takers. They accelerate a little before a green light in order to get across in time.
All are allowed to play their game, according to their rules.
I have my own, too.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:39 pmIn the past I never knew of that Linux Mint Blog. The release is published. The upgrade tool is in the repository now.
How is your post relevant to this support topic? The poster to whom I responded did not wait for official instructions and has encountered issues. Perhaps the official release notes will help with their issue.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:39 pm
SMG wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:02 pm The new upgrade tool has not been officially released. Please watch the Linux Mint Blog for an official release notice.
In the past I never knew of that Linux Mint Blog. The release is published. The upgrade tool is in the repository now.

However, this is always the same game:
There are very careful people. In traffic, they slow down before a green light because it could turn red.
And there are risk-takers. They accelerate a little before a green light in order to get across in time.
All are allowed to play their game, according to their rules.
I have my own, too.
Not a valid argumentation.

Not knowing anything is not the OK for doing it anyway. Not knowing means exactly that and the only right consequence can be to inform him/her-self.

Further more: If you are in the lucky situation, that all went well, than OK. Even omitting a Timeshift snapshot would not give a problem. But if one does his/her own hack and falls into a problem, (s)he should not complain. We, the helpers, cannot know, what (s)he did wrong, because we cannot know, what is right.

So the current advice can only be: Restore the last Timeshift snapshot.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

SMG wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:51 pm How is your post relevant to this support topic? The poster to whom I responded did not wait for official instructions and has encountered issues. Perhaps the official release notes will help with their issue.
It is indirectly relevant. As an interjection to another statement in context. Unfortunately, it has little to do with the direct topic of "webmin".

However, I just realized that this forum and also the blog mentioned seem to belong to the official Linux Mint website.
Therefore, I now understand and can accept your statements better.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:52 pm Not a valid argumentation.

Not knowing anything is not the OK for doing it anyway. Not knowing means exactly that and the only right consequence can be to inform him/her-self.
Yes I can agree on that. One question, however, is left: If any package is in the main repository, isn't it then official? I did not get it from unstable sources.
For me, it's basically not that important, I can also wait.
All the hype around this upgrade tool has caused higher waves than usual for new releases.
It might have been better to wait with the 21 release until everything is OK.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sgb77 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:30 pmI just installed a fresh copy of mint 21, I tried installing the latest version of webmin and I get the follwoing message.

by running "/etc/webmin/restart-by-force-kill" command when upgrade process is finished

I see a warning message in what you posted, but I do not see an error message.

The Installing on Debian and Ubuntu seems to have what might be slightly different instructions than what you did? I do see a line mentioning "On Debian 11 and Ubuntu 22.04 or higher, the commands are : ". Mint 21 is based on Ubuntu 22.04.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:15 pm If any package is in the main repository, isn't it then official?
Usually yes. But this is a special case. The same as in the time, when the ISO images got distributed to the mirrors, but the official announcement was not yet there. For the ISOs and the upgrade tool count the official announcement. And I do not believe, that anybody thinks, that the devs hold the announcement back to rise the blood pressure of the users. This has surely reasons, which we do not know, we only can do guesses.
Dan-cer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:15 pm All the hype around this upgrade tool has caused higher waves than usual for new releases.
It might have been better to wait with the 21 release until everything is OK.
The upgrade tool is the perhaps the biggest change in features. So it attracts more attention.
The idea, to publish LM 21 only in the moment, when the upgrade tool is also ready for release, has a problem: Even the developers need something for testing. If they test the upgrade and the first results are different to their own expectation, where shall they search for the cause: in the buggy ISO beta or in the buggy upgrade tool beta? They could have hold the ISO for longer time in beta state, until the tool is also ready for release. But take in account, how many users used the beta as workplace platform: No, also not a good alternative.

You could ask a question in the opposite direction: Why do you (plural) want LM 21 now and immediately? Which features do you expect, which LM 20.3 does not provide? Which hardware do you (plural) expect to get supported, which is not supported by LM 20.3 with the same 15.5 kernel? If one thinks about those questions, there will not be much output.
sqwuade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sqwuade »

SMG wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:02 pm
sqwuade wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:27 am I ran the new upgrade tool - "mintupgrade" that was just released today.
The new upgrade tool has not been officially released. Please watch the Linux Mint Blog for an official release notice.
I didn't know the upgrade too wasn't *officially* released yet. It worked well for the most part. I did have to revert to a Linux Mint approved kernel before the tool would even attempt to work. I think I was on 5.18.x or so before I attempted the upgrade and reverted back to around 5.14.x or so. I also had to uninstall some unsupported packages such as AnyDesk before the upgrade tool would work.

Overall the tool worked well though! My Apache config and virtual hosts all came across (Including PHP 8.1.2), the Xrdp and Samba configs both came across perfectly and are working great on LM21 now. The only casualty that I've seen so far is Webmin.
sqwuade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sqwuade »

SMG wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:32 pm
sgb77 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:30 pmI just installed a fresh copy of mint 21, I tried installing the latest version of webmin and I get the follwoing message.

I see a warning message in what you posted, but I do not see an error message.

The Installing on Debian and Ubuntu seems to have what might be slightly different instructions than what you did? I do see a line mentioning "On Debian 11 and Ubuntu 22.04 or higher, the commands are : ". Mint 21 is based on Ubuntu 22.04.

I tried running through these Webmin instructions for Ubuntu 22.04 last night but no luck.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-22-04
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sqwuade wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:09 pmI tried running through these Webmin instructions for Ubuntu 22.04 last night but no luck.
What is the specific error message you are getting? Can you post the output?
sqwuade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sqwuade »

SMG wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:22 pm
sqwuade wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:09 pmI tried running through these Webmin instructions for Ubuntu 22.04 last night but no luck.
What is the specific error message you are getting? Can you post the output?
I didn't get any error messages. The install seemed to complete w/o issue but nothing at 127.0.0.1:10000 and when I tried to start the service manually it said the service didn't exist. Also, /etc/webmin only had the uninstall script in it and /var/webmin was totally empty - nothing in it at all.
sqwuade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sqwuade »

sgb77 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:30 pm Hi all,

I just installed a fresh copy of mint 21, I tried installing the latest version of webmin and I get the follwoing message.

Thanks for any help.
Success! Try uninstalling webmin via the "Software Manager" in LM21 GUI (To make sure there aren't any remnants left over and it's completely removed). Then also delete the directories /etc/webmin and /var/webmin. After that do the manual install per Jamie Cameron's instructions on the webmin site (taking all defaults - next -> next -> next):
https://www.webmin.com/tgz.html

Worked great on my machine! Good luck.
Webmin-LM21.jpg
sqwuade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sqwuade »

The "Software Manager" in LM21 doesn't show Webmin as being installed even though it's up and running fine now. I'm wondering what will happen if I hit the "Install" button..?
Sofware-Manager-Webmin.png
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sqwuade wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:26 pm The "Software Manager" in LM21 doesn't show Webmin as being installed even though it's up and running fine now. I'm wondering what will happen if I hit the "Install" button..?

Sofware-Manager-Webmin.png
You might end up with two installs? I'd recommend taking a Timeshift snapshot unless you want to take the risk of re-doing all the work you just did if you decide to try it.

I do not know how Webmin handles it, but I know if someone installs an Nvidia driver manually (from the Nvidia website) and then they install using Mint's Driver Manager, they end up with two installs. And problems. I've helped multiple people clear up that type of situation.
sqwuade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sqwuade »

I'll probably just leave it alone for now - it's working and that's the main thing but the urge to hit the button to see what happens is strong!
Stimpy-Red-Button.jpg
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

:lol: I could tell. :lol:
sgb77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sgb77 »

Thanks all,
I downloaded the .gz file and it worked.

Return to “Software & Applications”