How to install Adobe Reader on Linux Mint 20.1?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ScatteredThunder
Level 2
Level 2

How to install Adobe Reader on Linux Mint 20.1?

Post by ScatteredThunder »

Hi,

I have this rather old computer running Linux Mint 20.1 (Ulyssa) and need to install Adobe Reader for PDF reading.

How do I do this?

I tried the following article but apparently ftp isn't supported by browsers anymore.

https://artofcode.wordpress.com/2021/04 ... mint-20-1/

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: How to install Adobe Reader on Linux Mint 20.1?

Post by antikythera »

PlayOnLinux has a script to install it. Let that program download the specific build it asks for though and it will work reasonably well

sudo apt install playonlinux

You will find that under accessories after install. The playonlinux package is a front end for WINE and will bring with it all the necessary WINE components. The applications you use with playonlinux are stored in your /home in a subfolder.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Before installing a Windows emulator, which creates a whole range of security problems of its own: why the need for Adobe Reader in the first place?

It's not as if there's a lack of fine PDF readers which are natively Linux. Heck, there's even a PDF reader in the default installation of Mint.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ScatteredThunder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ScatteredThunder »

Thanks Pjotr and antikythera for the replies!

In fact I'm not looking to install Wine or Windows emulation software on Linux, just have a PDF reading experience that works for me.

For example, the Xreader software which comes with Linux Mint 20.1 has a weird "CTRL+F" behavior, or at least on Xreader version 2.8.3. Such command isn't showing me all the existing entries in a PDF, and this feature is crucial for doing college work. I don't have a personal preference, I just remember that this feature works on Adobe Reader.

May I ask why it's so hard to install Adobe Reader on Linux Mint? And is there any other good free PDF reader that you guys recommend?

Thank you!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

You might try Evince:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install evince
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

ScatteredThunder wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:19 pmMay I ask why it's so hard to install Adobe Reader on Linux Mint?
Adobe Reader is a Windows application. Linux Mint, however, is a Linux distribution.
Linux is not Windows. They are 2 different operating systems.
Therefore Windows applications can only be run on Linux systems through PlayOnlinux, Wine or CrossOver.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

If your problem is the ctrl-F (search) behavior, you can install pdfstudioviewer. It is not open source, but the reader version is free to use, and there is a version for linux. I use it because it behaves more like Adobe Reader.

Return to “Software & Applications”