[SOLVED]Timeshift not showing newer snapshots

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bert
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Timeshift not showing newer snapshots

Post by bert »

The list of snapshots in Timeshift is showing only those until the first I did on Linuxmint 20.3 in March. After that, they do not appear in the list, but can be found with the filemanager. Can these snapshots still be used by Timeshift?
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bert
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Timeshift not showing newer snapshots

Post by bert »

Anybody?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

How do the snapshots appear in the file manager? There should be for every snapshot a folder with date and time as name, which contains 1 subfolder and 4 files.

Do the "invisible" snapshots get manually or automatically created?
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

bert wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:16 amAnybody?
The snapshots are stored in system dir /timeshift
timeshift.jpg
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

did the location of snapshots get changed by you at some point to a different partition? check all your partitions for /timeshift folders.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:34 am The snapshots are stored in system dir /timeshift
Only in case of the default setting.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:49 am
Dan-cer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:34 am The snapshots are stored in system dir /timeshift
Only in case of the default setting.
Thank you for this information. I didn't know about it.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
bert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bert »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:16 am How do the snapshots appear in the file manager? There should be for every snapshot a folder with date and time as name, which contains 1 subfolder and 4 files.

Do the "invisible" snapshots get manually or automatically created?
I create them manually. Indeed, for every snapshot a folder with subfolder localhost and 4 files.

I don't think I would be able to use my latest snapshots in timeshift when something goes wrong. I also suspect that when making a new snapshot the program thinks it should make a backup of all that's newer then the one from March, making the backups bigger and bigger.
snapshots.jpg
timeshift.jpg
snapshot.jpg
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

What does the message next to the yellow exclamation mark say (in English)? Both lines.
bert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bert »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:45 pm What does the message next to the yellow exclamation mark say (in English)? Both lines.
It means that I don't do planned backups. Should have nothing to do with why I don't see my newer backups
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I think your old snapshots are on an external drive, but your new snapshots were taken without changing the defaults so are saved in /timeshift.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:55 am I think your old snapshots are on an external drive, but your new snapshots were taken without changing the defaults so are saved in /timeshift.
It is more cluttered.
From 2020 5 snapshots show in the folder and in TS, but the 6th (December) shows only in the folder. Than from 2021 6 of 7 snapshots show in both places, but the 3rd is again only in the folder, not in TS. Than in 2022 the 2 first snapshots show in both places, but the other 4 only in the file manager.
So the problem are not missing snapshots, but missing listings in the TS snapshot list, and for this I do not have a logical explanation.

Further more I wonder, what is sdc1, the partition named in the TS picture? Is sdc an external drive? In the other pictures is the pathname only partially readable, but there appears the name Seagate, which would make an external drive probable.

Of course it is thinkable, that the drive for the snapshot has been repeatedly changed, this must have happened at least 6 times and I cannot imagine, that the OP does not remember doing this. So this stays as a mystery.

Regarding the question in the starting post: I cannot imagine, that the snapshots, which are not listed in TS, can be used; at least I would not trust them.
bert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bert »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:02 amI cannot imagine, that the snapshots, which are not listed in TS, can be used; at least I would not trust them.
Neither do I.

This morning I tried making a backup on a usb-stick, which was too small. After attaching the portable drive (the sdc1) and changing the setting back again I made a new backup. Lo and behold, the new backup is in the list in Timeshift, also after reattaching.

Still don't know what went wrong, but at least I have a backup, so I can dare update to 21.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

bert wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:31 am After attaching the portable drive (the sdc1)
Aha, so far I was right.

Return to “Software & Applications”