[SOLVED] Moving windows between desktops (Mint 21)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
boxersoft
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Moving windows between desktops (Mint 21)

Post by boxersoft »

On previous versions of Mint I was able to move windows between desktops by hitting the left/rght arrow keys, or the number key of a desktop, while dragging the window. I don't know if that's a feature of Cinnamon or the Destop Switcher applet, but it doesn't work for me on Cinnamon 21.0. This is a fresh install, but retaining my home directory.

Anyone else noticed this, or know whether it's something that might be fixable by tweaking settings somewhere?
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Moving windows between desktops (Mint 21)

Post by spamegg »

There was another user recently who retained their home directory on a fresh install of Mint 21 and it was causing some Cinnamon bugs and issues.

In this version of Mint, Cinnamon received some very significant changes to its codebase. So, some of the older config files on your home might not work well with it. Try making a fresh install of Mint 21 (with a fresh home) and see if you can replicate the behavior.

Also make sure to understand how the feature was working on Mint 20.3 (where was the setting for it, what's the exact sequence of inputs etc. otherwise it's hard to understand from your description). If it's really a bug, you can make a recording of your desktop with Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R to start recording, then the same to stop the recording. It ends up in your Videos folder.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

boxersoft wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:35 am On previous versions of Mint I was able to move windows between desktops by hitting the left/rght arrow keys
If you mean with desktops actually workspaces, than you are in error. The shortcut to move windows between workspaces has always been ctrl-alt-shift-left/right and this still works in LM 21Cinnamon.
boxersoft
Level 2
Level 2

Post by boxersoft »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:46 pm If you mean with desktops actually workspaces
Yes, sorry, I meant workspaces.
Cosmo. wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:46 pm than you are in error. The shortcut to move windows between workspaces has always been ctrl-alt-shift-left/right
On my Mint Cinnamon 20.3 I can also click & hold on a window's title bar as if to drag it (so the cursor changes to a "grabbing hand") and tap the left/right cursor keys to move the window to the workspace in that direction. Alternatively I can tap a number key (again, while "grabbing" a window with the mouse) to move the window directly to the workspace of the corresponding number. Does this not work for you?
boxersoft
Level 2
Level 2

Post by boxersoft »

spamegg wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:23 pm There was another user recently who retained their home directory on a fresh install of Mint 21 and it was causing some Cinnamon bugs and issues.
OK, thanks - I'll try to investigate a bit further. I'm not sure where the setting is - there are the Keyboard > Shortcuts > Windows > Inter-workspace shortcuts, but the actions I'm talking about only occur while the mouse is "grabbing" the window. Hopefully the expanded description in my reply to @Cosmo clarifies.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

boxersoft wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:18 pm On my Mint Cinnamon 20.3 I can also click & hold on a window's title bar as if to drag it (so the cursor changes to a "grabbing hand") and tap the left/right cursor keys to move the window to the workspace in that direction. Alternatively I can tap a number key (again, while "grabbing" a window with the mouse) to move the window directly to the workspace of the corresponding number. Does this not work for you?
What you described here is without doubt correct. But in the starting post you described a keyboard shortcut and this description was wrong. That was my point. This keyboard shortcut does still work in LM 21.

The movement with the mouse does actually not work in LM 21 Cinnamon. One of the handful of regressions.
boxersoft
Level 2
Level 2

Post by boxersoft »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:33 pm in the starting post you described a keyboard shortcut and this description was wrong.
Apart from referring to "desktop" when I should have said "workspace", which we already covered, I don't think my description was wrong:
boxersoft wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:35 am hitting the left/rght arrow keys, or the number key of a desktop, while dragging the window
Cosmo. wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:33 pm The movement with the mouse does actually not work in LM 21 Cinnamon. One of the handful of regressions.
Thanks for confirming.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I interpreted your sentence with the left/right key wrong, sorry.

But now you know a way, how it still works in LM 21. And there is another way: Open the workspace overview, now you can drag between the workspaces, also this method still works in LM 21.
boxersoft
Level 2
Level 2

Post by boxersoft »

Yes, I move windows from the workspace overview whenever I have a lot of shuffling to do. I more frequently want to move a single window though, and for that I often find the mouse/keystroke combination more convenient than the ctrl-shft-alt-arrow shortcut. Not a show-stopper, of course, but an unfortunate loss.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

boxersoft wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:11 pm an unfortunate loss.
As any regression.
artik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by artik »

Had the same issue, after 2/3 reboots, feature came back and works as before.
boxersoft
Level 2
Level 2

Post by boxersoft »

artik wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:40 am Had the same issue, after 2/3 reboots, feature came back and works as before.
Interesting - still not working here, and I've rebooted dozens of times (investigating an unrelated issue, mentioned in another post hereabouts).
boxersoft
Level 2
Level 2

Post by boxersoft »

Just a note to say this is now working again. Presumably the result of an update - I don't know which one or when but I'm pleased that it's back :)
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: [SOLVED] Moving windows between desktops (Mint 21)

Post by mikeflan »

Open the workspace overview
How is that done? Oh, I found it. Ctrl-Alt-Up

Return to “Software & Applications”