Those damn passwords

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laurieh
Level 1
Level 1

Those damn passwords

Post by laurieh »

Hi everyone, I know this has been raised many times, but there's far too many posts, to search through, so, here I go.
I don't mind the login password... but geez, every time I want to do something, I get prompted for the password again, is there a way to stop this very annoying prompt, without causing Google Chrome to pop up it's own rediculous message, please, no comments regarding security, or go to Windows etc.
Besides this annoying prompt, I love Mint.
Regards
Laurie
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Those damn passwords

Post by Cosmo. »

laurieh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 pm every time I want to do something, I get prompted for the password again,
I don't believe it. If you want to start a program, open or save a file, browse the Internet and many things more there should be no password prompt - except your system or your user account has been misconfigured.

The password gets requested if you want to do a system change, e.g. install a program. But I cannot imagine, that you do nothing with your computer than installing things from morning to evening or editing files in /etc. And this since the 9 years, you are registered here.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:54 am
laurieh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 pm every time I want to do something, I get prompted for the password again,
I don't believe it. If you want to start a program, open or save a file, browse the Internet and many things more there should be no password prompt - except your system or your user account has been misconfigured.

The password gets requested if you want to do a system change, e.g. install a program. But I cannot imagine, that you do nothing with your computer than installing things from morning to evening or editing files in /etc. And this since the 9 years, you are registered here.
No kidding. The only time I get a password request after logging in is if I'm installing something or otherwise changing something in root. That's normal.

You may have a permissions problem like running things as root that you shouldn't.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

My method of madness with passwords,
is to make it a Single Character....

my laptop is never out of my control, so during a Fresh Install, I just type in my favorite Single character....

I have seen people try to crack it, and enter my birthday, kid's names, etc.... and they always fail.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
LoVache

Post by LoVache »

^ Take care robots aren't people.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I don't understand, what is so difficult to understand. In password there is the word word included, and if we exclude the special case I then words consist of more than 1 letter. It never was called passletter.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

LoVache wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:36 pm ^ Take care robots aren't people.
yup,
that they are not,
but in 25 plus years,
my PCs have never been hacked or filled with vermin.

they are always under my control, and I do NOT inhabit the Dark Web

rarely do go anywhere except for my forums and watching YouTube, plus my email.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

laurieh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 pm
you have to do this with every root application or you can do it globally (they say not recommended) and then no passwords for GUI application only in Terminal.
so be specific, do you want to remove passwords for chrome? what other applications? i can help, what do you want?
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

To install a program and such, no, you always have to do it.

If you are prompted just for opening the program, you probably installed with the autologin option checked.

You can get it to stop just by setting a black password in your keyring.
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.
laurieh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by laurieh »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:54 am

Damn, here's me looking for help, expecting you guys to understand I meant system changes, yet all I get is grief... what goes on. My god.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

laurieh wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:18 pm yet all I get is grief
did you read my post? what would you like?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

We cannot invent your complain, we must take it as you wrote it. If there is something wrong in your description it is your task to correct yourself.
(God does not use a computer AFAIK.)
Last edited by Cosmo. on Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

laurieh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 pm without causing Google Chrome to pop up it's own rediculous message
Regards
Laurie
There's a GTK bug in chromium at present that causes the keyring prompt. It affects all browsers based on chromium project, so if you login without entering a password you get prompted for the keyring password anyway. There's no way to get around it until the developers fix it
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

antikythera wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:17 am
laurieh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 pm without causing Google Chrome to pop up it's own rediculous message
Regards
Laurie
There's a GTK bug in chromium at present that causes the keyring prompt. It affects all browsers based on chromium project, so if you login without entering a password you get prompted for the keyring password anyway. There's no way to get around it until the developers fix it
I fixed it by setting a blank password in the keyring.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Neophyte wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:16 am I fixed it by setting a blank password in the keyring.
which is fine if you are the only user of the computer
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:42 am My method of madness with passwords,

my laptop is never out of my control, so during a Fresh Install, I just type in my favorite Single character....

I have seen people try to crack it, and enter my birthday, kid's names, etc.... and they always fail.
As mentioned above, thatr ain't gonna work online. The most common way to hack Linux online is brute force password cracking, and yours would take microseconds.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:53 am
AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:42 am My method of madness with passwords,

As mentioned above, that ain't gonna work online. The most common way to hack Linux online is brute force password cracking, and yours would take microseconds.
Been using a single character password for decades, and never once, had a problem.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There was the man, who jumped from the roof of a skyscraper. On every window he passed he said to himself: "so far it went well."
Last edited by Cosmo. on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

antikythera wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:48 am
Neophyte wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:16 am I fixed it by setting a blank password in the keyring.
which is fine if you are the only user of the computer
I use a password manager rather than the built in keyring, and I never have my browser remember my passwords directly. So setting the keyring password to blank fixed this issue for me while also having no negatives repercussions that I can see.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

laurieh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 pm
here's something to get you started.
for chrome or chromium edit your menu entry. (cinnamon) right click menu button > Configure > Menu Tab > Open the menu editor > click Internet > doubleclick your chrome entry: in the command box paste --password-store=basic before %U (be sure to separate with SPACE in between --password-store=basic %U (you can now open Passwords and Keys from menu unlock Login and you can delete any chrome entry

for any other entry for instance synaptic (i can go into detail but this is short) open as ROOT /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/ search synaptic you'll find com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic.policy open it and find/search the line <allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active> change it to <allow_active>yes</allow_active> and save.

Return to “Software & Applications”