Those damn passwords

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Those damn passwords

Post by antikythera »

Neophyte wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:47 am I use a password manager rather than the built in keyring, and I never have my browser remember my passwords directly. So setting the keyring password to blank fixed this issue for me while also having no negatives repercussions that I can see.
I have a password manager too, it's called a usb stick (and a hard copy locked in a fireproof cabinet) for when the grey matter in my skull cannot remember the right password for an account.

I am old school and not really ready to entrust my passwords to a browser or third-party bit of password management software. Thunderbird email is the exception as I can set a master password to protect my login details on that. Yes Firefox offers the same but I don't want to risk my financial account passwords or anything else I log into to spend money being stored.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

antikythera wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:37 am
Neophyte wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:47 am I use a password manager rather than the built in keyring, and I never have my browser remember my passwords directly. So setting the keyring password to blank fixed this issue for me while also having no negatives repercussions that I can see.
I have a password manager too, it's called a usb stick (and a hard copy locked in a fireproof cabinet) for when the grey matter in my skull cannot remember the right password for an account.

I am old school and not really ready to entrust my passwords to a browser or third-party bit of password management software. Thunderbird email is the exception as I can set a master password to protect my login details on that. Yes Firefox offers the same but I don't want to risk my financial account passwords or anything else I log into to spend money being stored.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeePass
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:37 am
Cosmo. wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:54 am
laurieh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 pm every time I want to do something, I get prompted for the password again,
I don't believe it. If you want to start a program, open or save a file, browse the Internet and many things more there should be no password prompt - except your system or your user account has been misconfigured.

The password gets requested if you want to do a system change, e.g. install a program. But I cannot imagine, that you do nothing with your computer than installing things from morning to evening or editing files in /etc. And this since the 9 years, you are registered here.
No kidding. The only time I get a password request after logging in is if I'm installing something or otherwise changing something in root. That's normal.

You may have a permissions problem like running things as root that you shouldn't.
Dude, it's not even a new issue:
https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/30413/p ... ing-solved
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Neophyte wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:04 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeePass
again, I don't want to use a password manager
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

antikythera wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:31 pm
Neophyte wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:04 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeePass
again, I don't want to use a password manager
1. It keeps your passwords entirely local while still encrypted
2. It is better than keeping plain text passwords, which you already claimed to do.
3. You can literally keep it on a thumb drive, which you already claimed to do.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

okay, keep your hair on. you do you and i'll do me :wink:

the way I store the drive, the passwords are not at risk, plus multi-factor authentication is enabled for the majority and that includes the most important ones. my bank is biometric. I have divulged as much info as I intend :lol:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

the only passwords I let my browser keep, are this forum and a couple of others...
not much to gain if anyone finds those.

LastPass fills in my passwords for every thing else.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
laurieh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by laurieh »

trytip wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:12 am
laurieh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 pm
here's something to get you started.
for chrome or chromium edit your menu entry. (cinnamon) right click menu button > Configure > Menu Tab > Open the menu editor > click Internet > doubleclick your chrome entry: in the command box paste --password-store=basic before %U (be sure to separate with SPACE in between --password-store=basic %U (you can now open Passwords and Keys from menu unlock Login and you can delete any chrome entry

for any other entry for instance synaptic (i can go into detail but this is short) open as ROOT /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/ search synaptic you'll find com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic.policy open it and find/search the line <allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active> change it to <allow_active>yes</allow_active> and save.
Mate, I bow to your Mint knowledge, your suggestions do exactly what I want, I can log in using my password.. Chrome does NOT ask for the Keyring.. and I can update my system/ synaptic. User and Groups, Log in Window, Driver Manager still do, but they aren't used as much.. thank you so much.
Last edited by laurieh on Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

laurieh wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:33 pm
if you want to completely get rid of passwords is quite easy i learned from gm10 a while back some things. but in Terminal you always have to use passwords. this will get rid of all GUI applications' passwords but i won't post how unless needed.
laurieh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by laurieh »

trytip wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:23 pm
laurieh wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:33 pm
if you want to completely get rid of passwords is quite easy i learned from gm10 a while back some things. but in Terminal you always have to use passwords. this will get rid of all GUI applications' passwords but i won't post how unless needed.
I'd be interested in removing all passwords, except login. I know some will say this jeopardises security etc, but it is my choice, also, I have a login password, I am on my home PC, nothing is worth stealing, or why would anyone hack me, if they did, then I simply delete my account, and create a new one... or, at the extreme, re-install.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

laurieh wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:43 pm I'd be interested in removing all passwords, except login.
first know your username by Terminal whoami
second create new file:

Code: Select all

sudo touch /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/disable-passwords.pkla
third open the new file:

sudo xed /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/disable-passwords.pkla
last paste, save. replace XXX with your username

[Do anything you want]
Identity=unix-group:XXX
Action=*