Firefox wants a flipping medal?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Firefox wants a flipping medal?

Post by antikythera »

I just got a popup telling me Firefox has blocked over 1000 trackers since August 2022, I couldn't care less about the numbers involved as long as it's working.

It should get on with the job discretely rather than the "look at me, aren't I clever!" approach. I'd have to assume this new popup came with 103 build as it's not happened before

There's nothing in settings or about:config to prevent it :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Firefox wants a flipping medal?

Post by Cosmo. »

I have FF 103 running since 26th July, 103.0.1 since 3rd August. I saw never something like this. I also do not find anything in about:support.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It's a purple bubble type notification popup that came up over the address bar, I was surprised to see it to be fair. I'll try and screenshot it on my other machine if it comes up.

in about:config there's

browser.protections_panel.infoMessage.seen = true

and security.protectionspopup.recordEventTelemetry = true

but no entry to prevent it, unless now permanently blocked by the InfoMessage.seen. I won't hold my breath though
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Both values are here identical as for you.

Is there any related extension installed?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It's stock firefox for linux mint, I don't use extensions
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Avatar1 »

I think they are copying Safari. Safari does this on my iPad.

The ridiculous thing is, it will say "We blocked 175 trackers in the past week!" when I haven't used the iPad in a month (and it hasn't been connected to the network).

I have yet to see this in Firefox. Do they back up their statement with any sort of report?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Stuiff like this is why I switched to firefox-esr. It works the same as an older (non-crapola) release and gets the security updates. Much better. It's the default FF in Debian, they aren't dumb when it comes to what Linux users want.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

antikythera wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:05 amIt's stock firefox for linux mint,
Was it a version that was installed after Mint changed to using the standard Mozilla version or before?

I also do not have any extensions, but what I discovered when I ran into some recent issues is the setting changes I had before Mint changed to the standard Mozilla version impacted my resulting product. Somehow I have in my current setup things which are not possible to obtain if I start over fresh. It relates to previously standard GUI options which were available in past versions that I set. When I updated to Mint's Mozilla version those options I set stuck even though they are no longer available. That's the conclusion I've reached at this point in my investigation.

By the way, I've not seen this pop-up on my install.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

LMDE5 came with the Mozilla appeasing standardised build and this is was on clean install of LMDE5, there was another update tonight to 103.2 and the aforementioned flag browser.protections_panel.infoMessage.seen = true did not reset to false. So that hopefully means it was a one off incident.

Don't worry about moving it again to the LMDE section. I put it in other since it's not really a support request but an observation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

There's also a really poor quality sand timer page loading symbol on tabs now, it looks like something from the late 80s when GUI were still in their infancy.

Return to “Software & Applications”