Pidgin freezing frequently - "too slow" messages in Xorg log

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ConstantRandom
Level 1
Level 1

Pidgin freezing frequently - "too slow" messages in Xorg log

Post by ConstantRandom »

Greetings!

I use Pidgin a LOT to communicate with my customers and colleagues. I recently switched from Debian to Linux Mint 21 MATE edition and have had pretty good experiences *except* Pidgin freezing. When I'm writing to someone, *boom!* -- Pidgin freezes and I have to do xkill on it. I checked dmesg to see if there was anything relevant and nothing there, but when looking at the Xorg log, I see the following around the time of the freeze:

Code: Select all

[ 46446.856] (EE) event4  - Logitech LogiG MKeyboard: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 23ms, your system is too slow
[ 47744.189] (EE) event4  - Logitech LogiG MKeyboard: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 32ms, your system is too slow
[ 47993.954] (EE) event4  - Logitech LogiG MKeyboard: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 25ms, your system is too slow
[ 48967.256] (EE) event4  - Logitech LogiG MKeyboard: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 35ms, your system is too slow
[ 49435.345] (EE) event4  - Logitech LogiG MKeyboard: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 36ms, your system is too slow
[ 49435.345] (EE) event4  - Logitech LogiG MKeyboard: WARNING: log rate limit exceeded (5 msgs per 60min). Discarding future messages.
While the messages mention my current keyboard, the freeze also happened with a different keyboard too.

I have not had any other apps give me problems so far -- just Pidgin. Unfortunately there is no pidgin-dbg package, otherwise I'd install it and try debugging while using it.

Has anyone else had a similar issue lately?

Thank you! :-)
--
Release Linux Mint 21 Vanessa 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-46-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0
16 GB RAM
Intel® Pentium(R) CPU G4620 @ 3.70GHz
AMD Radeon RX 550 / 550 Series graphics (polaris12, LLVM 13.0.1, DRM 3.42, 5.15.0-46-generic)
-
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bless you and enjoy Linux!

Will B
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Pidgin freezing frequently - "too slow" messages in Xorg log

Post by mikeflan »

I use Pidgin a LOT to communicate with my customers and colleagues.
That is a surprise to me. We don't hear much about Pidgin at all, and rarely anything good, which is not too surprising.
Looking at the reviews:
https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/pidgin
and their website:
https://www.pidgin.im/
I would say most people have moved on from Pidgin. But if not, I would say LM is not likely to update the version currently offered in the repositories. And the Pidgin website says:
"We recommend installing Pidgin using your operating system’s standard package management tool."
So an obvious question is - which version are you using and where did you get it from?

Return to “Software & Applications”