How Do I Delete Timeshift Files

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
loybanks
Level 4
Level 4

How Do I Delete Timeshift Files

Post by loybanks »

I have several Timeshift files on my main machine and would like to delete them. So how might I go about deleting the files thru the file manager? Or is there some other way to delete them? A couple of the files are Timeshift backups that were not completed successfully. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Loy Banks (83 Years Old and doing pretty good for an old man :))
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How Do I Delete Timeshift Files

Post by BenTrabetere »

Delete them through Timeshift - select the snapshot(s) you want to delete and press the Delete button on the Title Bar.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

loybanks wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:01 am I have several Timeshift files on my main machine and would like to delete them. So how might I go about deleting the files thru the file manager? Or is there some other way to delete them? A couple of the files are Timeshift backups that were not completed successfully. Thanks
From this post and your other post I can only assume you may have Timeshift setup incorrectly. May we get information on how you set it up?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

loybanks wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:01 am So how might I go about deleting the files thru the file manager?
This is definitely the wrong method.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

I just deleted a snapshot that appeared in File Manager but not Timeshift because the snapshot did not complete. In File Manage, you can open the containing directory in Terminal. In Terminal, you can delete the snapshot using sudo.

Or you can live dangerously. Start File Manager in terminal using sudo nemo then delete the snapshot.

My Timeshift stuff is on an external USB stick so the last option would be to just grab a new stick, format the new stick, run a snapshot, and eventually wipe the old stick.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Petermint wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:17 am Or you can live dangerously. Start File Manager in terminal using sudo nemo then delete the snapshot.
This is not dangerous, but simply wrong. Never launch any graphical program via sudo!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:27 am
Petermint wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:17 am Or you can live dangerously. Start File Manager in terminal using sudo nemo then delete the snapshot.
This is not dangerous, but simply wrong. Never launch any graphical program via sudo!
+1, and I think itl'll mess up the Timeshift backups as well.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

I think itl'll mess up the Timeshift backups as well
It did not mess up mine.

Timeshift fails to list broken snapshots.

Return to “Software & Applications”