remove desktop/trash shortcut from thunar

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
getstarted
Level 1
Level 1

remove desktop/trash shortcut from thunar

Post by getstarted »

I just installed LM21 xfce and everything works great. One small thing has been bugging me for years, and since I'm rebuilding the machine from scratch I might as well take care of it: Thundar (xfce file manager) includes shortcuts for Desktop and Trash. They are near the top of the list of shortcuts and I can't remove them (by right-click). Question:
  • Is it possible to remove the Desktop shortcut?
  • Is it possible to move the Trash shortcut to the end of list of shortcuts?
Thanks for your help!
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: remove desktop/trash shortcut from thunar

Post by mikeflan »

Thundar
That is actually Thunar.

My first inclination is that any shortcut can be removed from wherever it resides with sudo rm -r /path/*, but I'm guessing that is not exactly what you want and may cause problems. Perhaps a picture would help others who use thunar help you.

Post pic to forum:
viewtopic.php?p=1999476#p1999476

Sorry, I don't use xfce or thunar.
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: remove desktop/trash shortcut from thunar

Post by bin »

In Thunar you should be able to right click in the left hand pane = Devices> Places> Network> and from there just deselect the items you do not want displayed. In this case Desktop.

Is that not working on your setup or have I misunderstood the question?

Trash is a bit more complicated. I have a sneaky memory somewhere that it is not owned by the user (cannot be sure but sounds familiar) I know I recall issues with being unable to use Empty Wastebasket due to permissions a few years back.

Return to “Software & Applications”