[Cinnamon] Redshift disappears from the notification area after suspend

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ThePhi
Level 1
Level 1

[Cinnamon] Redshift disappears from the notification area after suspend

Post by ThePhi »

Hello!
I have used Redshift for years without problems.
Recently (a few weeks ago maybe) the icon in the notification area disappeared after waking up from suspend.
The program is still running though as I can see in the system monitor: I see "Redshift" and "Redshift-gtk".
I force-close them and restart Redshift (by clicking on the shortcut in the launcher) and it reappears in the notification area.
Note that after a restart the icon appears normally in the notification area though.

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Redshift disappears from the notification area after suspend

Post by Cosmo. »

What shall we answer, if we do not even know the version of Mint and the desktop?
ThePhi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Redshift disappears from the notification area after suspend

Post by ThePhi »

Ok, sorry:
Linux Mint 21, Desktop environment: Cinnamon 5.4
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [Cinnamon] Redshift disappears from the notification area after suspend

Post by Cosmo. »

Open Users & Groups and create a new account. Log out and into the new account. Same problem there?
ThePhi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThePhi »

You mean to log out from my account when it disappears and switch to another account?
I did that and actually, the Redshift icon reappears again. But it's not very practical since I lose my session...
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You understood me right. This was only a step for investigating. It tells us, that your problem is in your account.

Next steps:
For investigating the culprit in your main account:

Open the file manager and make hidden files visible (ctrl-h).

#1 Delete the hidden folder .cache. Log out and back in and check.

The folder gets automatically recreated.

#2 If this does not help rename the folder .config to .config.renamed. Log out / in.
Very most of your settings will get lost, but you can get them back, by renaming to the original name.

Also here a new folder with default content gets created. If you later want to get back, delete this folder and rename the original folder back. Out / In.

#3 The same as #2 with .local.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

i would add the Cinnamon applet to your panel. Redshift has one that works really well with cinnamon and gives you control over redshift without having to modify text files. Right click on a blank spot on the panel select applets look for redshift, If you don't see it go to the download tab and download it then back to Mange and add it to the panel. Works great here.
Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
ThePhi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThePhi »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:40 am #1 Delete the hidden folder .cache. Log out and back in and check.
#2 If this does not help rename the folder .config to .config.renamed. Log out / in.
#3 The same as #2 with .local.
Even if I don't do any of these 3 steps, simply by logging out and in, with the SAME account, the Redshift icon reappears.
ThePhi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThePhi »

kc1di wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:11 am i would add the Cinnamon applet to your panel. Redshift has one that works really well with cinnamon and gives you control over redshift without having to modify text files. Right click on a blank spot on the panel select applets look for redshift, If you don't see it go to the download tab and download it then back to Mange and add it to the panel. Works great here.
Good luck.
Thank you, I didn't know it existed. It lacks the options to set your own dawn and dusk time though so it can't fit me: I go to sleep very early and get up also very early in the morning (4am usually) so I need the option to set Redshift accordingly.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

ThePhi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:17 am
Thank you, I didn't know it existed. It lacks the options to set your own dawn and dusk time though so it can't fit me: I go to sleep very early and get up also very early in the morning (4am usually) so I need the option to set Redshift accordingly.
Well one way around that is that you can find a time zone that would fit your schedule and use the Lat and Long coordinates to that time zone.
Just a suggestion.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
ThePhi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThePhi »

kc1di wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:23 am Well one way around that is that you can find a time zone that would fit your schedule and use the Lat and Long coordinates to that time zone.
Just a suggestion.
Thanks, but my usual night length is 6 hours so changing timezone won't solve it...

Return to “Software & Applications”