Pixeluvo re-installed in Linux Mint 21 Vanessa but won't launch, help please?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
logomage
Level 1
Level 1

Pixeluvo re-installed in Linux Mint 21 Vanessa but won't launch, help please?

Post by logomage »

I was using Pixeluvo fine in the previous version of Mint & liked it a lot for its ease of use. However, since upgrading to Linux Mint 21 Vanessa & reinstalling Pixeluvo seemingly okay, I now have the problem that it won't launch from either the menu or the terminal & I can't find any any solution(s) no matter how much I search/google/explore the internet aaaaaaaargh!

I am using a fairly powerful-but-oldish 64-bit desktop pc with loads of RAM & storage space, am fairly experienced at dealing with resonably uncomplicated problems, and in the past have used Windows 10, Ubuntu, Debian & various other Debian-based OS's including Sparky Linux, Zorin, Linux Lite, and more.

The only clue I can find is that when I attempt to boot Pixeluvo from the terminal using root I get this response:

pjc@pjc-coolmint:~/Desktop$ sudo pixeluvo
[sudo] password for pjc:
Using Pixeluvo Shipped Qt Libraries
Auto configuration failed
140042294728640:error:25066067:DSO support routines:DLFCN_LOAD:could not load the shared library:dso_dlfcn.c:187:filename(libproviders.so): libproviders.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
140042294728640:error:25070067:DSO support routines:DSO_load:could not load the shared library:dso_lib.c:244:
140042294728640:error:0E07506E:configuration file routines:MODULE_LOAD_DSO:error loading dso:conf_mod.c:285:module=providers, path=providers
140042294728640:error:0E076071:configuration file routines:MODULE_RUN:unknown module name:conf_mod.c:222:module=providers
pjc@pjc-coolmint:~/Desktop$

Any help from one of you wonderful code stars out there would be gratefully appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Pixeluvo re-installed in Linux Mint 21 Vanessa but won't launch, help please?

Post by MiZoG »

Message on the Pixeluvo download page:
(Please note we are not able to offer a Linux version at this time)
They obviously had a problem with their installer n withdrew it for now.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Pixeluvo re-installed in Linux Mint 21 Vanessa but won't launch, help please?

Post by Hoser Rob »

You don't need to run it from the terminal to get the error messages, I wouldn't use sudo there.

I looked at their downloads page and they say there's no Linux version for the current release at this time, but there is an older .deb file I could find. Is that what you installed? Were there any messages that said something would be replaced in the process? DId you force the installation anyway? I'm thinking they may have no Ubuntu 22.04/Mint 21 compatible version yet.

I was going to suggesat their forum but fortunately I looked at it first. The newest entrry is 5 years old :roll:
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
logomage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by logomage »

I bought a .deb installer on 1st July 2021 which worked perfectly under the previous version of Linux 20, and I've now attempted to re-install using this same .deb package. Attempting to launch Pixeluvo now from the terminal without sudo produces this (failed) response:

pjc@pjc-coolmint:~/Desktop$ pixeluvo
Using Pixeluvo Shipped Qt Libraries
pjc@pjc-coolmint:~/Desktop$
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It may have worked in a previous Mint release but there's actually not much backwards compatibility in Linux. It's quite common for software installed via debs or ppas to fail after a web point release upgrade. You may need to wait for a newer release of pixeluv or find an alternative.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
logomage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by logomage »

I think I may have found an answer here, from somebody who seems to have had the same problem: https://gist.github.com/craigvantonder/ ... 47c1758e92 - but unfortunately I don't understand really how to apply the suggested workaround as it's ages since I've actually messed with code upfront like that. Can anybody help please?

Return to “Software & Applications”