Mute and Volume buttons not working on DELL laptop with Mint 21

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
awik
Level 3
Level 3

Mute and Volume buttons not working on DELL laptop with Mint 21

Post by awik »

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my DELL Precision laptop to Mint 21, and I just discovered that the sound volume control buttons are no longer working. This includes the "Mute", the "Volume Down" and the "Volume Up" buttons. I checked the Cinnamon key bindings and they are properly configured. I tried "xev", and the keystrokes are detected apparently normally but I'm no expert on X11.

Regards,
Albert Wik.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mute and Volume buttons not working on DELL laptop with Mint 21

Post by shedyed »

I was wondering whether they exhibit the same behavior with a live USB in place; that is, try running a live session instead of the installed version. Does your desktop have a mixer button, and do they allow you to mute or adjust the volumes accordingly, using the software, and not the physical buttons on the computer
awik
Level 3
Level 3

Post by awik »

shedyed wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:07 pmI was wondering whether they exhibit the same behavior with a live USB in place; that is, try running a live session instead of the installed version.
I don't have a live system USB.

However, I haven't rebooted in a while, so it is possible that might solve the problem.
Does your desktop have a mixer button, and do they allow you to mute or adjust the volumes accordingly, using the software, and not the physical buttons on the computer
Yes.

-aw
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

awik wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:23 am I don't have a live system USB.
Download the ISO image and burn it to a stick.
awik
Level 3
Level 3

Post by awik »

I upgraded Cinnamon and rebooted. The problem is resolved.

-aw

Return to “Software & Applications”