Please help; problem with terminal

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
9091_sly
Level 1
Level 1

Please help; problem with terminal

Post by 9091_sly »

I am unsure as to which forum this question should be posted, so please forgive the ignorance on my part. At the moment, my terminal is failing to open in my linux mint tara distro. I have sought advice on how to fix this issue, and all of the solutions are to login to the virtual machine and reinstall the terminal.

However, when I enter my credentials, my password is never correct, even though I am positive I'm entering it correctly every time, and the only solutions to this problem I have found require the use of the terminal, which as I said before, is not opening.

So perhaps you understand my issue. It is going full circle and I do not know what to do, because even though I'm not as tech savvy as most of you guys, I use and know how to use the terminal adequately, and the fact that it won't open is problematic.

Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Please help; problem with terminal

Post by manyroads »

What DE are you using, what terminal 'does not open'?
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

9091_sly wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:14 pm However, when I enter my credentials, my password is never correct, even though I am positive I'm entering it correctly every time
perhaps you are using the wrong country's keymap?
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Please open the terminal and type this:

Code: Select all

gnome-terminal
Oh, wait a minute :D
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

9091_sly wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:14 pm So perhaps you understand my issue.
No.

I have no idea, what you mean with "login to the virtual machine". I also do not see, how reinstalling a terminal in a virtual machine should help in any way. So describe it in detail.

Where do you fail to enter your credentials? When did the problem start to happen or is this a very new install (in case of Tara not very likely)?

Return to “Software & Applications”