How to use different Desktop than standard LMC

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NTxLSdon3
Level 2
Level 2

How to use different Desktop than standard LMC

Post by NTxLSdon3 »

Greetings from the Great Country of TEXAS,

My system is:
O/S Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Cinnamon Vrsn 4.4.8
Kernel 5.4.0-124-generic
Intel(c) Core(tm) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz +2
Memory 3.6 GiB
Hrd Drv 141.5 GB
Intel Corp. Core Processor
Graphics Crd Integrated Graphics Controller

I want to change to using Mate and not have the "Developers Tools" popping up when making a typing error. Not being a developer, programmer, or any other than just a very curious (human being) user. Is there any method to turn off those tools? Plus wanting to use Mate as my desktop and in the DOCs there is not any explanation as to how to change? Have been reading those books for days and keep seeing that you can change but no assistance.

TIA for reading my message . . .
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
'd' aka NTxLSdon3 "LoneWanderer" & "StarSeed"
Join us/U.S. live life as "ONE!"
Happy Thoughts & Wonderful Manifestations to all...
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to use different Desktop than standard LMC

Post by Dan-cer »

Thanks for your greetings, here is a link with a tutorial on how to install Mate as well:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-mate-linux-mint/
Then you have both Cinnamon and Mate to choose from and can switch at any time.

As for the developer tools: I've never seen, started or activated such tools in Cinnamon, except in the browser. To understand it at all, you'd have to describe it in more detail.
Which program does this happen with? Are you confusing it with the spell checker? It can be turned off. How, depends on the program you are using.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:44 am As for the developer tools: I've never seen, started or activated such tools in Cinnamon, except in the browser.
I wonder about the same. And I wonder, why somebody plans to switch to Mate in a system, which has hardly more than half a year for support. And at the end I wonder, what the OP really wants if (s)he writes about a"different Desktop than standard LMC" and what C stands for.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Not so wild guess: LMC = Linux Mint Cinnamon?
Reason for the interpretation:
NTxLSdon3 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:11 pm My system is:
O/S Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You did a qualified guess. But it would be better for the questioner (quicker responses), if (s)he would not speak in riddles.
NTxLSdon3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NTxLSdon3 »

To ALL posters . . Greetings from the Great Country of TEXAS,

I am male and do not speak in riddles, I thought. I do not share that data unless asked, unimportant, the problems are my issues.

The 'C' is Cinnamon . . . For over a year & half have been working on learning this system as my teacher and student. Also learnting to use other features available yet every DOC has not given any clues as to how to change. Thank you for the link that does just that. My profile covers my background, very briefly, Completely self-taught. I know people of different countries understand things differently, may I apologize? End of off topic!

Will get to that when time is available. Have 'many' issues as working problems first. Another 'Topic' later.

Evidently those posting here are of a schooling much different than what I am attending, daily life in real-time also called the 'school of hard-knocks.

Again, Thank you muchly for your assistance, will do what is needed when other issues are covered and done . . .
'd' aka NTxLSdon3 "LoneWanderer" & "StarSeed"
Join us/U.S. live life as "ONE!"
Happy Thoughts & Wonderful Manifestations to all...

Return to “Software & Applications”